Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goliath II as a standalone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stevekim, Feb 8, 2003.

1. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    I'm thinking of picking up a goliath II to use with my swr sm-400s. can anyone comment on this setup? will it be sufficient for a loud rock setting by itself? thanks in advance.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It just depends steve. For some loud rock settings it will be just fine. It is pretty loud. That head and that cab are basically made for each other and the Goliath is pretty efficient.

None of us can answer whether or not it will be loud enough for YOUR rock setting but I would imagine so. I use an SWR SM-500 through an Eden D-410T, which is a pretty similar setup really, and that has always been loud enough for my rock trio. I don't even turn up my head past 3 or 4 either. We always have a PA system though. That's a nice punchy setup though.

brad cook

3. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    thanks brad,

your setup *is* very similar. i figure i'll probably be loud enough and if it isn't i'll get the other guys to turn down. (yeah right! :rolleyes: )

-steve

4. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    I had a goliath and SM 400 set up a few years back, with a Big Ben and I was bassically (sorry for the pun) too loud. I now have a goliath II with an ampeg B2R (less power than the SM400) and it seems just right. The band I plan is in loud - 2 guitars, keys etc. but my rig cuts through fine. We pump eveything thorough the PA and that keeps the FOH balanced. I put my cabinet on an angled amp stand which helps me to hear. My experience is that the goliath's projection is funny. If you are right on top of it it doesn't seem loud, but 30 feet out it projects well.:D

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's really not unique to the Goliath. That's just how low freq. soundwaves work. In general the bigger the driver the more extreme this phenomenon becomes. The soundwaves aren't fully developed directly in front of the speaker.

About the tilting thing... it just so happens that the casters on my Eden D-410T are placed just right so that I can lean the cabinet back and kind of use those as legs and it will sit tilted like that in just the right position by itself. It wouldn't take that much to knock it over but it will sit like that in a reasonably sturdy fashion. Kind of a nifty feature.

brad cook

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I currently use a Goliath III at around 240 watts and it is super loud. I play in a really loud rock band presently competing with an all tube vintage Marshall half stack and fully mic'd drum kit. It will definately keep up. I did however find myself craving a bit more low end given the volume we play at so I stuck my 2x15 Big Bertha in the chain but it's not cranked...it's just there to add a bit more low freq. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with just the Goliath as long as you can feed it 200 or more watts. The only thing I could see you wanting on top of that is a little more low end and if that's the case you can throw a 1x15 in the mix or DI into a board if you guys use a PA.