Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goliath II Jr. for 5 string

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Dec 8, 2002.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A friend is selling his Goliath II Jr. and I'm wondering how it might be for a 5 (or 6) string?

I'm presently using an Acme B2 on that side of my power amp but I'm not too happy with the mids and highs (yes, I know it's that "flat" thing).

How is the G II Jr. of low, low end? I recently tried out an Eden D210XLT and wasn't very impressed...especially compared to my Avatar B112/C15 cabinets (they get fed by the other channel of my PLX2402).

FWIW, I play rock and have had a need for stupid loud volume levels in the past (and I was only playing a 4 string at the time).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I don't know how different the II's are from the III's, but FWIW: up until recently I was using a pair of Goliath Jr. III cabinets. I play 5-string in trios and get no assist from the PA, and this 2x2x10 setup was loud enough: very punchy highs and mids, it cut through very well. It had enough low end for my ears, but IME the Eden 210XLT has better lows (and my Bergantino 2x12 even better still).

Because you are using other cabinets (Avatars, about which I know very little), I don't think you should rely on a 2x10 of any make to fill out your low end. Not knowing what "stupid loud" is I can't comment on how one 2x10 will work for your application, but I will say that my Juniors stood up beautifully to being pushed pretty hard... we get pretty loud for a Motown/blues band (guitarist sometimes does SRV things, 'nuff said).

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Stupid loud is when I'm pinned between Marshall and Line 6 wielding guitarists and have my PLX2402 clipping into a 4 ohm Acme B2 (725 watts) (the other channel was driving an EVM15) and it wasn't loud enough!!!

Yikes!!!!

Thanks for your comments...

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    overall the goliath jr II's had more low end than the regular goliath II 410's

5. In a loud rock setting Acme B2's arn't going to cut it. You need efficient 10's and lots of them. I'd trade around for 2 avatar 4x10 cabs ( 8 ohm ) bridge the plx (2400 watts at 4 ohms) and dare the guitar players to turn up....:D

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    seriously, i doubt a single B2 is gonna get you anywhere above the din of two ragin' guitar rigs.

best bet is to get two B2's or the single 4x10.

remember also, you need to be really drastic with your EQ'ing, cause most other cabs do some automatic EQ'ing due to their inherent tones.

Fuzz,

have you tried one of G Jr's with your 5'er? i did, and it farted out on me with a SM500. big bummer cause the slap tone was mad cool.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Never just one G-Jr. I had no problems running my fivers through a pair, though. Note that I usually play blues/R&B, and for that my tone is rather old-school, plenty of mids, and doesn't have the ultra-lows of the modern scoop tone favored by a lot of slappers.

8. One on it's own wont cut it in a rock band.

9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I have two Goliath Jr's and play a 5-string fretted and fretless through them and love the sound. I've just recently added the second cabinet and have played through the single Goliath JR for the past year and it sounds great! I don't play at STUPID volumes though (although we do get pretty loud). I think a lot has to do with the headroom of your amp. It's definetly cleaner with the new Stewart 1.6/Demeter than with the SWR-SM400S. But if you didn't like the sound of the Eden 2-10 XLT, I doubt that you'll like the SWR Jr. any better. Actually the Series I Goliath Jr's had a tighter sound with a 5-sting. They are a much tighter ported cab (round port in rear). However they don't project the bass as well as the new series III cabinets.

10. I play in a Blues / Classic Rock band. On my right is a 50w Marshall half stack and a harmonica player with a 30w "boutique", tube harp amp. On my left a Fender Twin. Behind me is a drummer who's very fit and plays hard enough to be heard very well without mics. Nothing is mic'ed in fact.

With this band I use an SWR Bass 350 with an SWR WM 4x10T. I added a Goliath Jr III to move a little more air and let the amp see 4 ohms. The 4x10 alone can handle the job, but with the extra 2x10 the sound is much fuller.

I don't think a 2x10 alone can handle a loud rock band. It simply doesn't provide enough volume. I've heard others claim their 2x10's can do it, but I'm sceptical

I use the Goliath III to do church gigs and quiet gigs with my other, quieter band. It handles that gig with style.

For rock I would suggest no less than four 10's. Six or eight is better.