Goliath II Jr rear port tube depth??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mburd, Nov 8, 2004.

1. mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Howdy bass chums..
    I have an older Goliath II Jr cab that has had the tubes from the rear circular ports removed long before I got the thing..
    It has a pair of 300w EVM 10's in it that punch the dookie out of the mids, but the low-lows are somewhat deficient; I'm assuming in some part due to the missing port tubes.
    Can one of yiz take a tape measure and see how deep those tubes are plizz?
    many thanks..
  2. Why did it have the tubes removed? Man, that's a question for That Bill Fitzmaurice guy. Maybe you can manually tune it with some cardboard tubing and a saw. That would really suck, though.

Personally, I would try to track down an old manual for that cab and see what it was tuned's to. Then get the thiele-small paraters and a calcualtor.

Kidding. Why don't you just find another one and tell the owner you need to check his cab's tubes. Pull it out. Measure its lenght. Record lenght. Replace tube and say thank you. Make sure you borrow a white lab coat, horn rimmed glasses and a pocket protecter.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Um, I think that's why he asked the question here, to see if there are any owners here . . .

. . . perhaps its just me . . . :rolleyes:
  4. yeah. you're right. lame response on my part. i should have looked at the last line more carefully.
  5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I once took my old jr II, to the swr factory here in L.A.
    The guys spent a while tuning the box by changing length
    and shape of the tubes. It made a world of difference. Not
    just a little, but A LOT! This was with stock speakers not
  6. That's what I would think would work the best. Manufacturers do not always get their own designs right, in my experience. But chances are they get it right most of the time. I gues you would need some sort of a sweeping tone and an RTA in a medium sized room. SOunds like the guy at swr knew his stuff.
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

If those are EVM-10Ms, you're never going to get really low bass out of them in that cab, no matter what. They're guitar/PA midrange drivers, and their Fs is spec'd at 65Hz. I can send you the factory spec sheet if you like, or it's readily available online. Couple those with a sub and you'll have a sockin' rig though.
  8. mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    ..I figured they were more of a low-mid driver.. (they DO boot the poot summpin wicked..)
    -however..looks like it's time for the lab coat and calculator..
  9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Let me know what you come up with, please. I have a pair of those EVs sitting in PA high packs that I hardly ever use these days. My cabs are sealed, and they work fine as woofers for vocals in a 2 way system.