1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Goliath II vs. Goliath III vs. Goliath IV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dragoon419, Feb 17, 2008.

1. What is the difference between the Goliath II, III, and IV?

Honestly, is there any real difference between the cabs in these 3 series?

Thanks for any responses.

2. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    The Goliath 2 had 4 chambers inside, one for each speaker and was rear ported. The dimensions of the cab were slightly smaller and the power handling was 500 watts rms.

The goliath 3 was slightly larger, tuned a bit differently and had a front slot port at the bottom. It had a power handling of 700 watts rms. Both boxes were built by PAS and were loaded with PAS drivers and a Foster horn. The 3 was slightly less weight than the 2, probably because the 2 had the 4 chambers inside and required more plywood.

I haven't seen the Goliath 4 but it is my understanding that it is loaded with eminence drivers instead of the PAS that were in the older cabs.

The G2 had stronger mids than the 3 and I think it was tuned a little higher than the 3.

Hope this helps.

3. greenbass5

greenbass5

Sep 16, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Goliath II. From my cold dead hands...

Just about my favorite cab ever.

4. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Being rather shallow I found the silver metal cheesy looking compared to the original black/grey.

5. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Lowmid, are you sure the Goliath2 had four separate chambers? I always thought that it was just rear ported. Surely having a port would defeat the purpose of having four separate chambers?

6. lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes, if you looked through the round tube port in the back, you could see a plus shaped brace that ran top to bottom, and side to side . The center was notched out for the tube port and each seperate chamber was vented through the round port. I wish I still had mine so that I could post a picture but I sold it months ago. I'm not sure if the intention was to have 4 seperate chambers or if that was just the way that it was braced but I think the former was the intention. This cab felt much heavier than the 3 even though it was actually smaller.

7. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Thanks for that, Lowmid. Yet another reason why the goliath2 is a great cab.

8. lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    [​IMG]

Imagine the same type of brace on the left, right and top side. The braces are cut out in the middle for the horn and the port but run all the way from front to back.

9. lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    [​IMG]

10. lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Yeah, I would put it near the very top of my list as well.

My all time favorite rig was my SWR Redhead (the first one- not the Super Redhead) on top of my GII 410.
    Or my SM400s on the GII.

I was Mr. SWR back in the day!:D

Don Oatman (owner/builder of LDS cabs and Low Down Sound bass store) and I were just having almost this exact discussion the other day.
    About how totally sweet the GII sounded.

He said that a lot of it had to do with the PAS drivers that they used.
    He had to replace a few speakers in the GII with new ones and the old PAS's were the "magic dust" of the old cab.

As much as I hate heavy cabs these days, that is one that I my just put up with again!