Goliath III 4 vs 8 ohm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Denimhorn, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Denimhorn

Nov 25, 2002
    Tomorrow I am buying a SM900 head after some solid research!! I am also picking up a Goliath III cab to go with it and i wanted to know whether i should get the 4 ohm or 8 ohm model. I may at some point (after saving more money or if needed) be getting a second goliath III or maybe a Son of Bertha to go with it. Knowing that which one do you all think would be best?

I know with the SM500 it was recommneded on here to get the 8ohm and run it bridged mono mode if i was going to add on another cabinet - thank you SecretDonkey. Because the 900 has more power....does that still apply? I feel like an idiot asking..but Im just starting to learn about this stuff. It looks like the 4 ohm is the way to go to me....but again...im just learning.
  2. If you play 5 string predominantly I would buy the 8 ohm Goliath and add a 15 cabinet later.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That's difficult because the answer depends on your situation. If you think you'll need another cabinet, then it's best to make allowances. However the Goliath might be enough for you.

FWIW I was perfectly satisfied playing 5-string through a pair of Goliath Junior III cabs, but YMMV.
  4. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I think 8 ohm is the way to go, the 900 will give you alot of power at 8 ohms and if you add a 15 or any other cab at 8 ohms you will drop to 4 ohms. the 900 has alot of power and you wont need to get every drop out of it !. I use a 750 with a 8 ohm and it works great, if you were looking at a 350 then I would say 4 ohms would be the way to go for the power.:bassist:
  5. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I agree with everyone else on this - go with the 8 ohm. Both for the flexibility later and another very practical reason - the SM-900 pushes 650 watts bridged at 8 ohms, which is just about an ideal load for a Goliath (rated at 700 watts). Pumping the full 900 watts into a 4 ohm Goliath risks overdoing it.

I played a big room on Valentine's day with a single Goliath 8 ohm. It filled the large stage with sound, and the PA took care of it from there. That level of thump would probably be adequate for just about anything. I picked up a second cab last weekend and with 2 4x10 cabs, it sounds so beautiful I almost cried. :D But the single 4x10 will do the job in most situations.

I just happen to be a dual 4x10 cab kinda guy. More power to you if you prefer a 15 to complement, but here's a great advantage to my setup - leave one 4x10 cab at home (or wherever) and one at your rehearsal space. Then just haul the amp and you've got a bodacious rig at two places. Works for me! :D

Congrats on the SM-900 - you're gonna love it!
  6. Denimhorn

Nov 25, 2002
    ahhh so great to wake up on a sunday morning, come on here and check to see if anyone had input on my question. Sure enough - great input. Thanks guys.

I am gonna go with the 8ohm - it looks like that is what they (SWR) learn towards in the SM900 users manual from thier web site as well.
  7. bassclefman

Apr 12, 2007
    New York City
    I have a SWR SM 900 and a 4 ohm Goliath III which I use in stereo mode along with a 4 ohm SWR son of Bertha (I upgraded the stock 8 ohm driver with a 4 ohm driver) and they sound great in stereo mode I am aware that I can't use the two cabs in bridged mode because two 4 ohm cabs will drop the impedance to 2.0 ohms that's the reason I use the two together in stereo mode.
  8. canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful

I too Am a duel Goliath user and I LOVE IT!! For a couple of years i ran a Goliath III and a SOB 115...It sounded good but that was all did not handle the b string very well...the SOB would fart out pretty quick....So then i finely did what i should of done in the first place...Got my self another Goliath IV 410 and Boy was i in heaven...Unreal way more bottom end the that SOB could ever think of doing and...Man does it PUNCH!!!.. as I always say it will knock the drummer right off his seat:p.. So yes My vote is for the 8 ohm 410 and not just one of them put 2:D...The More 10's the Better is what i say!!! Besat of luck Mate Cheers!! ~Elliot