Goliath III (4x10) + Big Ben (1x18) = bi-amp or no?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FlatNate, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Okay, I own a SM-900, and a Goliath III 4x10 right now, and I am saving for a Big Ben 1x18 to put underneath them, but I am wondering when I do get the 1x18, will I want to bi-amp it with the 4x10 or am I going to want to run them both full range. If so should I bridge them? Maybe this is a silly question or I am on drugs, I don't know. Still lemme know what you guys think.

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    I used an SM-900 with a Big Ben and a Goliath III for about a year. The rig definately sounds much fuller and "bigger" in bridge mono mode as opposed to bi-amp mode. However, it did not feel as "big" or focused as two Goliath III's...a combination I strongly suggest you try before buying the BB, especially if playing loud with questional PA availability. If you still want the BB, which does sound fine, you can find a good used one (mine) at the GC in Atlanta.
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I wouldn't want to send my highs to a 18. I say biamp all the way. Much better control. I don't own/use the equip that you do... but it sounds much better on my rig and I bet it will on yours too.
  4. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I used to own a Gallien Krueger RB2000 which was biampable with a totally adjustable crossover, similar I believe to your SWR. No matter what combination of speakers I tried, it always sounded better bridged @ 4ohms with two speakers running full range than biamp.

I also owned a couple of amps that had crossovers but were mono where I had a second head. That rig had a Crate 2-15 cab for the "lows" and two Peavey 410's for the rest. It sounded like crap set up as a biamp system. When I went with either the crate and 1 peavey or 2 peavey's running full range, it really sounded better, but not as good as using smaller speakers, be them 12's, 10's, or even 8's which is what I'm using now.

I'd consider adding an EA 210 8 ohmer to your mix as the second cabinet and run them full range, which will give you tones that you don't even hear with the SWR yet give you the added ooomph.

Does your band have a PA that you're mic'd in? If not, my guess is that if you're going to use an 18 and 4 10's you're probably going to overpower your vocals and whatever else goes through the pa. What size venues do you normally play? How loud is the band and the configuration of instruments?

Good luck.

5. I say run it bridged. I read in my SWR sm400s manual that SWR actually recomends bridging over bi-amping. I think all SWR cabs are made to run full-range too (even though the Big Ben has truncated highs and all...).
  6. Thanks guys,
    I think my best bet is probably just to experiment around. Naturally what I do is also going to vary with the size of the venue.
  7. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I would think a 15" Bagend driver will do just as good as a 18" unless your bass is tuned down to F#.