Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goliath III or Goliath III Jr. for Use With "Black Beauty"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bongolation, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I want a four-Ohm extension to use with my SWR Black Beauty (four Ohm), but am not absolutely sure of the net differences I'd experience between these two choices. The Junior has enough power handling capacity, but would there be any advantage to the Goliath other than getting the BB's control panel stacked up closer to eye level? :p Would there be a loss of sonic efficiency with the additional speakers in the GIII over the GIIIJr - or the contrary?

[For those unfamiliar with the Black Beauty, it's essentially a rearranged 350X amp mated to a four-Ohm version of the Son of Bertha, or a 1x15 version of the Redhead, if you want to look at it that way.]

As always, thanks for any help.

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    C'mon...SOMEbody has to know the answer to this.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yes, you would move more air with the Goliath III because you'll have twice the cone area as with the 2x10. So, for a given input wattage, you'll get more perceived volume. It will definitely make a difference. But since you already have a 15", you'll probably be fine with just the 2x10 unless you play huge rooms.

I have a Goliath III, and it's a great cabinet. Rock solid, handles tons of power, and great tone. The dimensions are reasonably compact for a 4x10, but at 89 pounds it's kind of a brute.