Goliath III vs Rock Band

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Sep 15, 2005.

1. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I recently tested out a Goliath III 4x10 cab with my former rock/metal band (filling in for a few gigs until they find a replacement). It didnt seem to cut through particularly well, or really produce the low end that I expected. For a cab that is supposed to be way efficient, it was kind of disappointing. It did shake my pant legs a little, but didnt quite glow between the rest of the instruments. In defense of the Goliath, we were playing in an open garage and you tend to loose a lot of reverberating bass in the nearly-outdoors setting.

Anyone have similar experiences with SWR 4x10 cabs? In what types of music do these cabs really shine?
  2. I thought the cab was tuned to produce more mids/highs than lows. So maybe another 4x10 would be more to your liking. The Hartke 4.5xl was a more balanced sounding cab, I thought the Eden 4x10 was somewhere in the middle. I tried all 3 when I was looking for a 4x10. That was a long time ago, check the forum for other options, now there's EA, Schroeder, Accugroove, etc that may do much better for you.

Personally I get more, and solider low end out of my 2x10 EA's than I did out of my 4x10. Theoretically you'd think that's impossible, but it works.

3. That's a great cab, but is really more popular and appropriate for pop and funk music IMO... it has a sort of natural scoop to it that makes it sound what some people call 'hi fi'.. with a very pronounced treble... a slight mid scoop and a relatively open bottom. That's about as far away as you are going to get in tone profile from an Ampeg 810, etc. It sounds like for the music you are playing, you need massive mids.... if you are on a budget, check out some Ampeq multi-10 cabs... if you are not on a budget, guys looking for that sound are raving about the Bergantino cabs with the mid speaker vs. the tweeter.
  4. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    wow we think alike. :D thats exactly how id describe my goliath III. chaosMK, what head are powering the goliath with? i ran a bass 750 at 425 watts (8 ohm cab) thru mine and it was barely enough for a metalish/hard rock band. a bit smooth for rock but with some EQing i was able to dial in a fat tone.
  5. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    I am using a Bass 400 with it.

I have a few other cabs to match it up with, like a WM 1x15, but even with that cab it is way less low-mids sounding than the WM with an Avatar 2x10 pro.

I may pair it up with my Mesa cab (this was my original intention, but I havent paired them up yet) for gigs worthy of lugging around two heavy cabinets, or hold onto it for some of the more jazz/funk related endeavors I have been getting into lately.
  6. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    bass 400? do you mean the the workingmens 400? or bass 350? i cranked 200 hz on my head and it was very punchy. id say try the EQ for a bit.
  7. Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I went from an SVT2 with Ampeg 810 cab to a Mesa 400+ with 2 Goliath 3 cabs - mainly to improve weight and options(take one cab onlyfor smaller gigs). While I agree in part with the comments on the Goliath sound, it is relatively easy to switch the tweeter off and cut out the "hi-fi"aspect of the sound. I had the opportunity to play the Goliath side by side with the Ampeg 810, both through the SVT2, and there honestly was not much in it. I actually preferred the Goliath as it went a bit deeper at lower volumes. I find that with the Mesa 400+ I have a wider range of tones available(although it takes a while to get used to the tone controls) and I can use the graphic to dial in that Ampeg sound if I need it. Played an auditorium with it last night and it punched through brilliantly - didn't miss the SVT at all(and it is soooo much lighter on my ageing back).
  8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I agree with you that the SWR doesn't sound big. I bought mine because of the sharp note definition though. :bassist:
  9. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i always felt that the g3 was a nice sounding cab, but kind of lacking in the low mids and lows. that being said, i put a son of bertha 1x15 underneath it and i think they complemented each other very nicely. as far as volume, i thought it was very loud and cut through fine, but once again it depends on the eq. i ran a swr sm500 (bridged mono 500 watts into 4 ohms) with the eq flat and the aural enhancer at about 1:00 and never had a problem with not being loud enough (when i had the rig down at school, i could shake the whole 2 story house with the master volume at 10:00). i also must agree with ivanmike's assesment of swr- it doesn't sound so good on its own but sounds great with a band. :bassist:

p.s. i am only selling this cab because of weight issues (it's damn heavy)- going to go the neodymium route.
  10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Turn down the LOW lows (~40hz) and boost around 200hz, then you'll be able to get more juice out of your amp AND get a punchier sound. If you have 2 mid controls and can also boost around 800-1000 hz, then all the better.
  11. DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    I use a goliath 3 4ohm with a 550x head so im getting the full 550 watts...i get a loud as hell fat tone that i really like, but that being said i havent finished my search for the perfect rig, but this is the closest ive come so far and also for what i paid ( close to 3000$ canadian wayyyy to much) i feel i could have got better if did more research. this is my first none combo rig. so all in all i like the goliath 3 but im sure theres better out there.
  12. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    I actually have a kind of hard time doing this with the Mesa/Boogie Bass 400 since it has such crazy controls, at least compared to other stuff I've used. I do have the low-low's cut substantially, but havent quite figured out where the low mids are on this thing. I would naturally assume it is the next slider up from the 40hz one, but it doesnt quite give the low mids tone that I have in mind. I use the pull switches on the bass/treble/input out (this draws the frequencies more toward the midrange).

I went to my other band's house tonight for a short rehearsal, and that is where I have my Mesa Powerhouse 4x10. With the same settings on my amp as the night before my tone was killer, way ballsy and the tubes sounded like they could breathe. I guess these cabs just have totally different EQ's built in.
  13. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I turned the tweeter off on my Goliath III and boosted the low mids and it completely changed the sound. It used to sound hollow and metallic, but now it has a sweet and smooth tone. I'll post the exact frequency I was boosting when I get home.

14. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    metallic is a good way to describe swr's high end. i always thought it sounded a bit electronic overall. its a very clean yet punchy sound when you boost the mids. interesting sound but i needed to try somethin new. good luck with your tone.
  15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA

Well then the solution is really easy ... buy another boogie :D
  16. ryla

Jun 17, 2004
    auckland new zealand
    it has heaps of tone across the spectrum and gives my thunderbass an honest output, with a speaker enclosure this good it comes down to how you inflict your tone on your instrument, what you give is what you get.
  17. hi,
    I also use a Mesa/boogie Bass 400+ with a Goliath III (4 Ohm) cab.. a while ago I used a SWR 550x with it and I must say, in my opinion my sound has improved much with the Bass 400+, but the Goliath doesn't do it in the low frequenzes very good. I need a lot of low mids (I play in a Progressive Death Metal band) and that's the wrong cab for it.
    I have sold my 550x and my Goliath III will buy other cabs. Which ones would you suggest in the price range of ca. 900 - 1200 Euros.
    I was thinking of getting a 4x10 + 1x15 set up instead of a
    8x10.. this should produce punch and also massive lows.
    Should I get Ampeg 4x10 + 1x15 or the new Trace Elliot 4x10 + 1x15..or anything else?

and bye