Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goliath + Son of Bertha or Big Ben?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FlatNate, Feb 4, 2003.

1. I'm just curious as to what you guys think would work better with a SM-900 and a Goliath III. I bought the 900 and the Goliath roughly a year or two ago and I have been wanting to add another cab. At this time, I would like a little more low end out of my set up. I am really debating between the Son of Bertha and the Big Ben. I understand that a second Goliath III would definately have the most punch, but I doubt I'm ready to spend another 740 bucks for one. So any experiences with a Goliath used with a Big ben or the Son of Bertha? Which would be a better match?

Thanks,
    Nate

2. SOB is my choice. I run your setup with a son of bertha and it adds 'fullness' especially with a 5 string.

never tried the 18 but hear that it is muddy.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Where did you hear that? From what I've heard around here, it's a very nice sounding cab for low frequencies...

Nate, are you planning to biamp the 2 cabs or are you going to run them both full range? If you biamp, I'd say probably go for the Big Ben, if not, you should probably go with the SOB

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

the big ben is about as tight as an 18 gets.

5. I could Bi-amp. I actually posted a thread about that very question a long long time ago. Most of the responses differed and I never came to a solid conclusion on what I would do if I had the Big Ben. Basically, some folks said that bi-amping would sound better if I could do it. Others disagreed saying you get more head room and punch just bridging it all and running full into them. I am pretty torn on the whole thing. Biamp or no? Big Ben or SOB? *scratches head*

-Nate

6. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have played the EXACT setup you asked about. An SWR SM-900 through a Goliath III 4X10 with the SWR SOB 1x15 underneath. That sound was pure Nirvana! It was punchy, detailed, had a nice growl, and the extra low end the SOB provided made the B-String on my Roscoe 5 string bass sound like focused, tight, punchy thunder. I STRONGLY vote for adding the SOB. FYI, That was in stereo, not even bridged mono. You can bridge the SM900 for 900W's into both 8 ohm cabs for a nice 4 ohm load and you're DONE! trust me, it sounded AMAZING! GREAT!. Loved it.

7. *marks one hash mark for the SOB*

Ahhh man, I'm still up in the air on this. I'm not sure if the Big Ben will be as tight as the SOB. On the other hand I'm not sure I need another foster horn in my rig. And of course I go and look up the prices and they are... the same. This is not an easy choice. Anyone out there who has really tried both setups?

Thanks again for your input! :)

8. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    One advantage to the SOB *is* the Foster horn. Paired with your G-III you obviously don't need the extra horn, but if you ever just need a small rig for practice or a small gig, you can grab your amp and the SOB and you're set.

The SOB gives you the flexibility of using it with the G-III or by itself. The 18 really doesn't give you this option.

9. Well thats two for the Son of Bertha now. I guess I'm just still debating how much more of a low end advantage I would have with the Big Ben. I guess I'm beginning to lean towards the SOB now.

10. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I'm actually in this same situation, but I'm leaning more toward the SOB for the reasons I said.

I'm thinking the Big Ben would be about ultimate, pure low end, whereas the SOB is a compromise that gives you low end that is still quite good, it would help contribute more to your overall volume and punch over the full range of sound, where I think the 18 would be more limited to low end, and again, the flexibility of the SOB to be used as a stand-alone cabinet and the fact that it is simply smaller and more portable.

I'm in the market to supplement my Goliath AND I'm looking for a good small gig/practice rig. One option is to get a combo amp, the other option is to kill two birds with one stone and try the SOB.

However, step one is to balance the books and find some money. :(