Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goliath Sr. vs Henry 8x8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by canadian*eh, Jan 30, 2006.

1. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I had posted a thread about the henry 8x8 and was quite suprised about how well like of a cab it is. What I would like to know now is how does the compare to a Goliath sr..and visa versa.I would just like to know what the player's that have these cab's like about them and what the don't like,you know the pro's and con's of each of them....I play 5 string bass and am looking for a cab that is both punchy and and clear,but also handle the low b good.......but not Mushy..........like i said i want a Punch,somthing that well cut and be felt even 30 ft away it is posable.......So go ahead and give me the low down......(no pun intended).well not really:D and tell me all you know, i would just like to hear both side befor i make my decision.Hope you can help!! Thankx:)

2. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I think I responded in your henry thread but will contribute here also. I owned both at the same time. I owned the 8x8 first and always liked it, the sound, size, weight, etc. even though I blew a couple speakers in it. Once I started playing in a band I didn't have enough volume to keep up without the cabinet farting out and being afraid of the speaker breaking themselves apart. This was with an old AMpeg SVT head against a half stack playing simple rock kind of stuff at standard tuning, some drop D. I bought the goliath SR hoping that would help with my volume problems and it did, barely but also had a blown speaker. I tried running both of them together and still had trouble. Both cabinets I thought the speakers were going to jump out of the cabinet. I was looking for another cabinet and found an eden 215 xlt cab for a great price so figured I would try that out and it fixed all of my problems. With the SWR cabs I had the volume on my head turned up half way which should be extremely loud with an SVT and was barely keeping up but with the eden I only turned it up to about 2 and had no problems and could be way too loud if I wanted. They were both nice cabs but you may want to look elsewhere if you are playing very loud. That is my personal experience but it might be different if you are using solid state stuff.

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Limited damping factor, that a sealed SVT cab would provide the SVT head, caused excessive cone excursion. You were correct to state "your mileage may vary" with SS heads.

4. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    Yeah, I had a feeling that may of had something to do with it. I used to run an ampeg svp pro with a qsc 1850hd power amp and had no problems with the henry...

5. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    I am not going to be playing it to a point that will blow the speakers..Cause i would only be runing a gk 1001rb II head which is rated at 700 watt's at 4 ohm's through a the goliath sr and if i get the henry 8x8 i would only be using the 700rb II head cause it is ratted at 480 watt's at 4 ohm's.I just want a cab that will push a good bottom end and punch.but as i said i don't want a muddy b string.i want it clean and punchy......and somthning that i can really fill the b string through!!!!!!!

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    There is a tone difference there, so if you can go down to a shop and try them. Either one will serve you well.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Canadian, eh?
    I get really great results with a Thunderfunk driving the Henry 8x8....

8. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    that's what i am hearing about both of these cab..........so it sure make's it tuff to make a choice between eather of them.........boy i wish life was just a simple cut and day..but i guess when it come's to bass amp's there is really no cut and dry.....cause every body has there own like and dislikes...so that why i posted this thread is to see what the people like and don't like.....and so far it is really mixed.so keep them coming...........the more the merrier.so to speak!!!!!

9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The 8x8 is going to be more warm/fat/smooth, where the 610 will be more scooped and have more bite in the highs (since is has the big horn tweeter). More classic bass sounds go 8x8, more modern go 6x10.

10. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    I use a
    henry 8x8
    goliath III 4x10
    and a big ben 1x18
    and 2 old swr 350's with a focusrite pre.
    sounds killer!!! I have used this rig for a decade and even in the studio I mic the 10 and an 8 with no eq and its like perfect man!

Todd

11. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    If you ever get a chance, try a Ampeg 8x8. I used one for years, it`s a killer cab. Much louder an more bottom than the Henry, but still very punchy mids.
    I dont know if they`re still made, and I never seen many of them, whitch I find a bit strange.
    Anyone else have any thoughts about this cab?

12. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Bump!!!!!!:D