Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goliath SR vs. new 4 ohm Goliath III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Goliath Sr.

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. Goliath III 4ohm

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'd be selling my jr and my triad to get one of these.

money IS an issue.

portablity not so much, i have a hatchback and both of these cabs have wheels - plus i have a combo for pickup gigs where i don't have a band to help me move a big cab.

i'd be bridging 1kW into either one, and i'm sure both would be PLENTY loud. but i need a cab that can take lots of B string stuff and not need a recone after a year.

this is the main concern. so will the 4x10 do fine or should i spring for the 6x10?

also - how hardy are the sr's? should i worry about getting a used one? (i'll probably buy new anyways...but who knows - i'd HAVE to get a new 4 ohm 4x10 so i guess that's a consideration too.

i've been talking about getting this freakin 6x10 for so long...i want it, but i don't know if i NEED it, and i'd rather not spend money on something i don't need.

jason

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey man, I am in almost the same boat as you! Both of us play Funk and Jazz, and are looking for a cab that's gonna last(I'm going to College for music...I want to get some good equipment now so I don't have a problem later). I have been trying to decide for months what to purchase....I finally broke down and bought the Aguilar rig I have now. I am going to add the 2x12" to it soon. I was going to get the SWR SM900 with a Goliath Sr. 6x10", but the "Aguilar sound" just suited my playing better. I was also thinking about the 4x10" SWR. It really depends on what you feel you need for the music. You probably know that the 6x10" will have quite a bit more low end than the 4x10". You can push the 6x10" harder, but it weighs over 100lbs! For Funk, I would want a lot of low end, and if it was my main gig(and I got paid well!), I would probably go for the 6x10". However, I have not heard the 4ohm 410 yet. Have fun!:)

3. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The Goliath III actually has more low end than the Senior.

4. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    I say the sr...it doesnt hit as low as the goliath, but you can beat it to a pulp and it doesnt flinch. If youre gonna be playin pretty quietly get teh 3, but if loud is an issue get the sr...it does loud real well, and enough lows for most people.

5. Spiketopia

Spiketopia

Sep 13, 2001
    Boise Idaho
    What do you guys think of the megoliath
    :confused:

6. i say spring for the Sr. bro :D

7. leftybassdog,

I beleive you need to check the SWR website again, they just recently started making a 4ohm version of the goliath3

8. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

Lowfrez

thanks for the info.:confused: