Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goliath Sr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Feb 14, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    so as i'm about to take the 10's out of my junior i find myself pondering something...

if the goliath jr, by itself, doesn't really like handling the B string - that doesn't change when i add the triad underneath it. i spend a lot of time on the B string, so wouldn't it make sense that unless i somehow biamp it, i'll probably have to recone my 2x10 fairly regularly.

this - plus the fact that i have a peavey i could use for small gigs and rehearsals until i got a better, more powerful combo (which i plan on getting) makes me want to get a big cab for big gigs.

so how deep does the sr get? specs say 55hz for a low, but that HAS to be BS. it should handle low B's no problem - does it? i figure if i'm putting 1000W into a 6x10 i wouldn't have to work it hard at all, so it should be much more even.

i don't see why i'm asking - i'm gonna go to the music store saturday with my rack and see for myself - but maybe someone can let me know how long they've had theirs and how it's held up?

jason

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Man, I really regret selling my Goliath Sr. last year. With the Bass 750, it sounded great! Killer bottom-end, always sounded fat with a B string. But talk about punchy...that's what I dug the most.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I love my Sr. It'd handled low B on my 5's very, very well...sounds much more tight and focused than what most of my bi-amped friends have happening. I also love the size of the thing....smaller and lighter than an 8x10 (but it'll get just as loud), and on casters so that you don't have to carry it like a 4x10 (but it sounds better).

Great choice for an "all in one" cab. I've run mine with an Alembic F1X/Mackie 1400, Eden Navigator/Mackie 1400, and currently an SWR SM400S. Sounded stupendously good with all the above.

4. anyone A?B an 8x8 with a goliath sr?

Just wondering the difference in tone/overall feel.

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Goliath Senior is rated at 105db 1w/1m.

That is pretty incredible!

My beef with it is that it weighs 90lbs. I like the Son of Bertha. It's rated at 102db, still pretty darn loud, and only 60lbs.

I want to stack two of those and hear it with one or two heads to see how I like it.

6. Gabu, actually the Sr. weights about 115lbs!!

My henry weights about 97, which is not bad, since sometimes i ahve to carry it in the house by myself at 4am............:eek: :D :mad:

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    You are right! I was thinking of the Goliath. Doh. :p

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    WRONG!

The SWR Goliath Senior is rated at 110 db @ 1m/1m!

THAT is incredible!

It's louder than some 8x10s!

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yeah, I was thinking of the Goliath.

One day I will learn to read and then all this posting will be much easier.

10. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I have. Though the Henry has a better frequency response than the Goliath Sr. The 6x10 just sounds smoother to me than the 8x8. I can't really describe it better than that, except that I prefer the sound of the 6x10. Nothing wrong with the 8x8, purely personal preference.

The SWR Goliath Senior is one of the best sounding cabs I've ever tried. I've had GAS for one (or two :) ) on and off for five or six years.