1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Golihur upright basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Leftybass12, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Nov 14, 2008
    Hello everyone, I am quite new to the double bass section and I have several questions for you all.
    I play realistically only electric bass, but am adding the upright to my arsenal of instruments soon. Problem for me is that I play left handed, so after a lot of research I came across and decided upon ordering a Englehadrt EC-1 3/4 size lefty upright bass. Anyone have experience with Englehardt basses from Golihur? I read that it will essentially be built from the ground up, so there aren't any in stock, and I understand I'm pretty much stuck with the thing. Big reason I am getting this is because of school, I got to music school mainly based in classical, however I am in the jazz run. I find it would be much easier to graduate given that I will (hopefully) show that I can play several different types of basses. Lastly, how do the electric uprights sound in comparison? I imagine that they do not have the same effect due to it not being hollow body.
    Thank you so much for reading this.

- Blake

2. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    The search Nazis will gitcha, but I'll answer you. I'm a lefty as well. Just got rid of my Ergo EUB, which was great. But EUBs and DBs are very different beasts. You won't really get an acoustic tone from an electric instrument.

I highly recommend finding a Shen dealer. I was going to get an Engelhardt, but by basically all accounts, the Shen is the better bass.

I got a Shen SB80, which is a fully laminated bass. This is my first acoustic upright (I'm also a slab veteran) and I'm over the moon about it. I had it special ordered from Williams Fine Violins in Nashville. Took 4 months.

3. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    I'll also add that although I haven't dealt with Gollihur personally, I've heard nothing but raves about them.

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Bob and Mark Gollihur and good folk. I've bought two amps and several rounds of strings from them. Good people, part of our community, no reason to doubt anything about them or their products.

Don't know the bass, though, sorry.

5. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    I played a righty Engelhardt EC-1 from middle school through college and few years of gigging. Set up properly, they are excellent starter basses. I still play mine, and it still gets the job done when I'm not comfortable bringing one of my more expensive basses to a gig. I live a few miles from the Engelhardt factory and bought out from a local shop. After 5-6 years in the less-than-ideal location of my parents' basement, the bridge warped and a back seam opened. A new bridge improved the tone of the bass, and the adjusters were a welcome addition. The repaired seam has bern stable for over a decade now.

As for Bob and Mark Gollihur, I've probably bought >$5k of basses, amps, speakers, and accessories from them over the past ten years. Nothing but positive.

6. IronSpatula

IronSpatula Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    I'll throw in a big +1 for Gollihur Music. They do things quickly, are good communicators, and seem like friendly folks.