golliath jr.II replacement speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B String, Oct 18, 2002.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I need some help here.
    I've got an older golliath jr.II,
    that's great for small gigs. I
    really don't push this box much
    at all, but I keep blowing speakers.
    Actually it sounds like the voice coils.
    I keep replacing them with rebuilt
    originals from swr. They only last 6
    to eight months. What else can I
    put in this box that would keep the
    weight down and still sound good?
    This is such a great small, light box,
    I don't want to screw it up.
  2. first things first:D
    let's try to find out why you are blowing speakers.

What are you powering it with?
    What are the power ratings on the original speakers?
  3. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm using an older medium power
    walter woods and a gk 800rb. BUT!!!
    This box is for smaller gigs so I'm not
    pushing too much. The original speakers
    lasted for many years and were fine.
    SWR has reinforced and tuned this box
    to the point where it sounds stupid good.
    The problem is that the speakers go bad
    within 8 months to a year. I used to just
    walk in to the factory to fix this, but swr
    is not as consumer friendly as they used
    to be so this could get expensive fast.
  4. a couple more questions:

Has either amplifier acted up or done strange things that you can remember? If you're not pushing and the amps aren't misbehaving, I'd guess you are getting faulty replacements. ow many times have you replaced them?

Do the speakers just quit working all together?
    Do you smell anything like glue or plastic burning?

There are lots of 10" speakers on the market. Eminence or JBL would be good places to look. You'd need to check the specs (T-S parameters, etc) on the speakers you have now and find a model with similar specs. If you get ones that aren't matched to the cab design they won't sound right.
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'm terribly concerned about the fact that you keep blowing them using an 800rb. I the amp clipping at all? That's the usual culprit of voice coil problems.

Regardless, for a small 2x10 cab like you've mentioned, Eminence Delta's are probably the way to go. They can be had for about $75 a piece. Best place I've found online for them is at www.partsexpress.com.

If you end up blowing those, consider going up to the Eminence Kappa Pro's. They handle more power and are built more robustly, but they are a tad less efficient and your top end will suffer a little with them (OK if you use a tweeter). I put Kappa Pro's in my Aguilar 4x10, and they solved all my problems.
  6. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Its not the amps. I've got three
    other boxes that are fine. I think
    it must be the quality of the recone.
    At the factory, we once went through
    four or five speakers to find good ones.
    They just don't seem to last.
    I've heard good things about the
    Eminence speakers but have no experience
    with them. Its just that this box sounds
    so good and is light, that I'm getting so
    frustrated. You guys are being very helpful.
  7. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I got a good recone for some old ampeg speakers at :

Sorry I can't be more help.
  8. Agreed. Orange County Speaker Repair really knows their chit. I can't recommend them highly enough.
  9. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You would think that getting recones
    from swr directly would be a reliable
    source. And.. they start out sounding
    great. I've never had this happen before,
    and I've owned many boxes. ( I've got
    six at the moment)
  10. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Not necessarily. Would getting a engine rebuilt by a local car dealer be better than one built new at the factory? SWR does not build their own speakers - they get them from OEMs like Eminence and PAS.

It sounds like SWR's reconing skills are not up to par, or whoever they are farming the job out to. I'll be they don't do as many in a month as Orange County, and experience will make or break a recone job.

Using Eminences in that box is not going to be a big deal. You'll probably like the sound. If you want to keep it light, then the stamped-frame (non-Pro models) would be the thing to get. Keep in mind that the higher the power rating of the drivers, the less warmer they tend to sound, and are stiffer-sounding. So if you plan on using it with a small head, then don't go overboard with 400-watt drivers, unless you want a really tight sound.

Eric M - what kind of problems did you have with your Aguilar GS-410 speakers??? Just curious.

11. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Eminence will be launching a new line of neodymium drivers towards the end of this month. The 10 incher is the Deltalite 2510. It has a lightweight cast frame. It will have a 2.5 inch voice coil and is rated at 300 watts rms. Frequency response is 30-3.5k. Weight is about 4.5 lbs(!!). Price will be very close to the current Delta series.

12. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Anyone know what the specs are on
    the 10's from a goliath jr II ?
    Would the new Eminence 2510 do the
    job on the high end? 3.5k is really low,
    even for a bass speaker.
  13. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Most likely, 3.5k is where your Fostex horn takes over.

14. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hi, why don't you purchase new SWR drivers, the power rating is up. You may have proven that their recone work is subpar. Your cabinet sound is a combination of the drivers and the cabinet that is tuned for those speakers. I had a Goliath Jr. with Edens and one with the PAS speakers and they sounded noticeably different.
  15. SWR speaker cab's have 5kHz Crossover for the
    Foster Horn.
  16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I did a gig with a new band who was EXTREMELY loud onstage, and all I had with me was one 4x10, the Aggie. I was driving it really hard and running too loud just to keep up, and one of the guys kicked in my octaver on my pedalboard out of curiosity. End result, the Aggie's speakers promptly fried. Severely creased cones, blown voice coils, the works. One even had a slight tear in the cone.

For replacement, it was only $5 more each from partsexpress.com for the Eminence Kappa Pro's over the Eminence Delta's, which were essentially what was in the Aggie to start with (except for the 4 ohm original, 8 ohm replacement difference).

What was originally a cab rated for 700 Watts was now good for 1200 watts, and a bit more robust. I lost a tad of efficiency, but since I'm running 1500 watts bridged, it really makes no difference. The cab is MUCH heavier, though, since the magnets are so much larger.
  17. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey Chadds:
    What was the difference between
    the eden and the pas drivers sound wise?
    The factory told me that the newer
    speakers have more highs and less lows
    than the older ones, but the newer boxes
    put out more lowes.
    To Donne:
    If these replacment speakers go up to
    3.5k and the crossover is at 5k, isn't
    there big empty spot in the sound???
  18. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    My bad on the crossover point. Yes, there would be a big hole that could seriously mess with upper level harmonics. The Deltalites do not sound like a good choice for your cab. Ooops!
    "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..."

19. Yes.