Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gollihur bows...

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by apfroggy0408, Jun 15, 2005.

1. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    So ya I havn't been on these forums for a while.

Back to topic...

I'm now a freshmen in highschool, I have decided that I'm going to keep playing bass, hopefully for the rest of my life. Was wondering what Gollihur bow or another bow would be good, at a 100-200$$ price range.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Check the classifieds, there's a bargain basement French model there. They've gotten good reviews here.

3. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
  4. froggy...do you have a real name?
    You've failed to mention what style bow you use, so, since the ebay bow is German, i'll figure that's your poison.
    That bow looks good, but who's to say that's what you'd get.
    Since, as Marcus says, BG's bows have gotten such good reviews from our family here, why mess around?
    I ain't no Edgar, Gary or Paul Chambers with the bow, but my BG Brazil wood German bow is at least as good as most mid-level pernambuco bows for less than $160. My opinion.

5. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    Alright thanks. My real name is Alex, if you choose to call me Alex, it's fine with me. So I'll keep looking around posting more links here and of that sort. I do play german bow. Right now is just the planning of getting a new bow, getting one will come soon.

So feel free to post links of nice bows for sale.

thanks

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Froggy, Alex.., listen to Paul.. If the guys around here say that Bobs' bows are that good for the price then you can't go wrong. There is little difference between Brazilwood and low grade Pernambucco wood for Bows. The Pernambucco is the 'heartwood' of a Brazilwood Tree. In the Brazillian region of Pernambucco, they call it just that. If the wood is less dense and has light grain in the pores of the wood, they call it Brazilwood. Caesalpinia, the family, has many varieties but 'Caesalpinia echinata' is the most famous variety that Pernambucco comes from.

Good German Bows run 2-3k and up. Good french bows can run 3-10k easily. German made french bows do not bring as much as French or English made French Bows so the German Bow players get away cheap in comparison. If you can get a good workable bow for under $200, jump on it. It will be easy to sell with little or no loss when you decide to upgrade. Do NOT buy an expensive Bow on-line. Have ONLY an Orchestral Professional Bassist/Teacher help you make THAT decision buy playing the bow when the time comes.

Stick around kid and you might learn something....lol

7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Alex, I recently switched to Bob's German bow after using the french one that I sold today (the one BIGGUS JOHNSON mentioned). Although my German bow has a few issues mentioned in another thread, Bob has fixed those problems in his newer bows (which I saw the differences between my two bows).

I would buy it with confidence, especially since it looks like Bob's fixed those issues in his newer bows. Besides, when you become a player with monster chops, I would think it would serve well as a backup bow to a much better bow. It wouldn't bat an eyelash picking one up, especially if it's your first bow.

8. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    Alright thanks guys, I never new a bow would be so expensive. Ya I'm not looking at that price range right at this moment. 200 and below is what im shooting for. I'm probally going to get a gollihur bow, since everyones giving good reveiws. Thanks guys...

9. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have a bow from Bob Gollihur that I'm very happy with. I originally bought it because it was recommended here on TalkBass. After owning and using the BG bow for several months, I'd recommend it highly now. Doing business with Bob and his son Mark is always a pleasure.

10. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    Well thanks a lot guys. I have decided I will get a BG bow. What are the warrantys on these bows?

11. email Bob....

12. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    You are guaranteed to wail like a cow with a gut wound for at least the first several months. Stick it out, though, it gets better.

13. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas

His email is??

14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    He can be found on this discussion forum or at his website:
    http://www.gollihur.com/

15. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    Gracias...

16. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm closer to your age [just graduated high school]. I bought a Bob G bow [french] to use with my cleveland. The bow plays much nicer than the fiberglass one i bought used from a member here. [was also a Bob G bow]

It will be worth the money.

17. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    I looked for another thread about issues with the Bob G bow. What issues are there with the older bows?

18. sejarus

sejarus

May 8, 2002
    Milwaukee
  19. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    ahhh... thanks!

20. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    please note:

• It is the only negative posted among dozens of postives; please read the entire thread at http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115837&highlight=Contrary+glowing+reviews for context.
    • The "issue" was not significant; about three bows escaped with loose wrap, and once reported, the rest of that shipment in stock was returned to the maker for replacement.
    • I offered to replace the bow immediately, as mentioned.
    • The wedge/hair situation happened four months after purchase, and after much use. No similar problem has ever been reported.