Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gollihur bows

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by apfroggy0408, Feb 2, 2006.

1. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    Well I'm about to buy a Gollihur bow like now. I have the credit card in hand. I'm also getting a case. But what I'd like to know is what rosin works best with this bow? I don't think I'm going to want to use pops because of how sticky it is. Any suggestions valued thanks.

2. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    I've decided to just go with Carlsson Swedish Rosin, heck if it's bob's favorite rosin. Why wont it be good.

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Yes, I like the Carlsson, three quick swipes on my new bow and I'm making noise. (maybe if I practiced more I would be making music instead. ;) )

Rosin choice is a personal matter, and your own preferences will have to be cultivated as you play and gain more experience. Lots of factors come into play.

You'll find that extremes in humidity can drive you to different types of rosin. When it's very dry (typically winter), a stickier, more moist rosin may be more desirable, when highly humid (summer around here) a drier rosin may be a better choice. At times in my playing life I carried two or three cakes and had the sticky bass bag pocket to prove it.

The SuperSensitive Clarity synthetic Rosin comes in Winter and Summer grades, and Kolstein makes a Duo-Pack that has a half moon of each of two different flavors. If you are in an area where the climate is extreme, those two may be convenient alternatives... and there are many more, as you'll find some who make numbered rosins to indicate the grade.