1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gollihur pernambuco bows???

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Bass Barrister, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    I have not looked at Bob G's site for a while and noticed that he now offers a pernambuco bow for about $250 or so.

Has anyone tried one of the German from versions of this bow? I've searched the Bow forum but the Bob G. bow threads don't specify this particular model.

Thanks

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    That seems like an awfully good price for a pernambuco bow. Have you asked Bob about them yet? I certainly trust him to give you a completely honest answer. I'm pretty sure that Bob uses or has used everything he sells.

Of course, if someone owns one, it would be nice to see their account of it too.

3. Bob G says,

"They are the same nice quality as the Brazilwood bows, with the same ebony detailing. The French bows weigh around 125 grams, with the German/Butler at about 132 grams. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not Joe Arco, but they feel very "lively" and precise, but I'll wisely leave that to those better versed (and practiced) in bowing skills. "

I love that, "while I'm not Joe Arco..."

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I hate that when Italian guys shorten their birth names for the sake of show biz. :smug:

5. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Actually, I've bought a couple of items from Bob and have always been very pleased with his products and service.

I was just wondering what the the experience of others was.

6. Just as with any bass or bow from a given maker, they will likely vary greatly from piece to piece.

S

7. My current favorite bow is a brazilwood bow from Bob. I've abused that bow terribly. It's on it's second frog (I dropped it on a tile floor and the rails split) Stupid Me! I liked the stick enough to have it repaired and re-haired during which time I picked up a second one so I would have a spare. Although the size is the same the stiffness and weight is variable as is the way they play but neither one is bad. I have looked at a whole bunch of bows up to about $600 and can't really say any of those were much better and some were worse. For the price, they are probably pretty good and I'm sure these will vary a good bit also. It seems bows are highly variable at just about any price point.

My thoughts is that the pernambuco at that price is probably similar in workmanship and a slightly nicer wood. It's probably worth a shot.

8. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Wouldn't surprise me if these things are coming from
    the same pool that Ken Smith draws from, they are
    about the same price.

Someone with money to burn should get one from
    each and compare, I would sure be interested in
    that review.

Cheers,

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I just played the German one. Very nice indeed at the price. It had been rehaired with black hair, so I can't evaluate that aspect of the original. Great bow for the bucks, IMHO.

10. looneybird

looneybird

Jul 22, 2009
    After hearing the rave reviews of the Brazilwood bows, I just ordered a pernambuco. French style. Was going to go carbon but just couldn't sell myself and I didn't want to get another Brazilwood.

Keeping my hopes up that I made a good choice!

11. FSSimon

FSSimon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Sept-Iles
    I just bought the 246$ french pernambuco bow from Bob (all hail) Gollihur. I think it's great. I have not tried to 148$ brazilwood bow, so I cannot comment on that one. Also got the bow case. I was offered a discount on the double case because the single bow case was out of stock. Nice!
    I had started learning arco with a cheap bow of unknown origin. My back and right shoulder would sometimes hurt after practise. With the new bow I now realize what I have been missing all along. I have made considerable progress in a just a few days. Just letting the gravity and the rosin on the hair pull the sound without effort.
    I use pop's and sometimes carlsson. I live in a cold and dry climate and all the other rosins just don't rub onto my bow...

I'm starting to feel that arco playing is a bit like a golf swing. Steep learning curve at first, then constant progress. Lessons and descent equipement reduce frustration and aleviate discomfort and injuries. And it's something you spend a life time perfecting.

12. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    SO true.
    Oh yeah... I gotta have my POPS ;)

13. Dr. Jake

Dr. Jake

Jul 1, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Has anyone had the chance to compare a Gollihur pernambuco bow to a Finale?

14. lowEndRick

lowEndRick Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    Reviving this thread because I have the same question. So, has anyone had the chance to compare these 2 bows?

15. I have no experienced with either band.

When I played string bass, I prefered the torque of German grip bows.

Those with $$$$$$ to burn will quickly tell you an expensive bow is SOOO worth the $$$$$. The end user may be able to tell the difference but no one hearing one will discern the $$$ difference. IN MY OPINION.

16. wow ..my poor spelling/ typing..

Should have been.. 'I have no experience with either brand' [ as mentioned in this thread]

17. I know old thread, but I have one of these in the German style. It came with a dark salt and pepper type hair, and has fairly small frog compared to other German bows I have tried. This is good for me, as I am quite small.
    I love the way it sounds. I've only been playing for two years, but in that time I started with a Glasser bow (didn't like it), and then went to a 3/4 size German, K. Holtz, which I liked better than the Glasser. The only problem with the K Holtz is with the two that I had, both fell apart at the frog within the first two times I used them. I guess if one compares my price range, I am using a major upgrade, so it should be better, but I do absolutely love my bow.