Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gollihur's Bulgarian

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dave Irwin, May 20, 2002.

1. I've heard nothing but good things about the basses
    Bob sells.
    Anyone in Ohio/Ky/WVA have one?
    Anyone want to comment on one they've played/heard.
    Is there any real competition in the price range?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
  3. I found one of the Bulgarians for sale by someone
    no longer playing URB's.
    The bass is a 5 string and the only problem so far is the neck does not have much angle to it.
    The bass was setup by the previous owners luthier
    and the bridge (with adjusters) can't be cut further
    without getting close to the heart.
    I'm waiting on word from my luthier on if the feet of the bridge can be cut more

The string height is still high for pizz. Perhaps Bob can comment on the neck angle in general...

The bass sounds great though, loud and dark. The arco tone seems very focused. The instrument is only 1 year old and hasn't been played much so it should I'm looking forward to the sound improving even more.

Also, there was no label on the inside. Is this the norm?

Thanks,
    Dave

4. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    yes I have a korean bass (carved) and not much of a neck angle, I wonder if the bass is kind of quite because of that, I have another korean bass with more angle, in fact a lot more and it's a real loud bass, maybe there is more pressure against the belly, I also have a Romanian bass with good angle and the bass really project well, so I wonder if there is a way to reset the neck, anyone had experience with that? thanks.

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I don't find the neck angles to be any different than other basses. Example, the bridge on my Kay is 6 inches tall from the belly to center top, the action is low. The bridge on the 4 string Bulgarian in the other room is 6.25 inches tall from the belly to center top, and the action is a bit higher than the Kay, so one could conclude that their neck angles are very close.

The bridges on the five strings have unusually tall legs vs. the top section. I would think that a piece could be taken out of the legs to lower the bridge.

Some didn't come with labels, sporadically, but they have been continually coming with ones since late last year.

6. The bridge may very well be it. The neck angle was commented on by one of the shop owners where I took it, not the luthier.

I just picked it up today and the luthier did his normal fantastic job.
    The bass plays great now although there is a slight buzz when bowing the G string (I probably need to raise the bridge just a bit or play with less pressure)

The bass is sounding great. Even with the low action, still much nicer than the laminate.

Thanks for the info.

Dave