Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goncalo alves neck: body wood suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Sep 2, 2004.

1. I have a goncalo alves neck with a pau ferro fingerboard that's lying around unused. Anybody know what kind of body wood would go nicely with it, tonewise or appearancewise? I really like the look of koa and have heard good things about its sound. Would that be a good combination?

Thanks for any opinions.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Interesting-I've never seen goncalo alves be used for anything but a top wood.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well,

I was just sniffing around over at the Warmoth site, & they have a number of necks in thier showcase, that are Goncalo necks.

Judging from the examples I was, from some screen shot posted on thier site, (Yea, I know, pictures don't do it justice) I'm thinking that Koa & Goncalo are very similar in color. Thing is, goncalo is very oily & doens't need finishing,,, where as Koa will require finish.

That said, it could look nice... I'm more of a contrast kinda guy. I don't like the neck to look like the body... But, maybe the pau ferro neck is enough to break it up visually.

Keep in mind, I"m only discussing appearance at this point...

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I just built and sold a bass with a Goncalo neck. The bod is black walnut with a claro walnut top.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Don,

How was the color contrast between the Goncalo & the Walnut? Similar, or fairly different? Walnut was my first instinct, but I started to 2nd guess myself.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    to me they looked like coffee and cream. Very nice combination.

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Oooooo, sounds nummy. You didn't happen to snap any pics did ya?

8. I'd recommend Koa, Alder or Ash...in a "pronounce the mids" sorta tone.