1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gone, But Not Forgotten

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Jul 23, 2012.

1. I had a Mosrite ---

then I posted it on a dealer's trade site and in a few hours got bids that drove the price to $4500.00.

Here's the bass:::

100_0813.

It went to a Mosrite collector in Las Vegas, (No - not Ed Roman) but I also had one guy in New Zealand going to fly here to get it if I'd sell it to him exclusively. He couldn't get here for a month, so he finally backed out and let it go to Nevada.

I have a link to the document that was generated for this sale. I cannot divulge the name(s) or address, as just saying Las Vegas is TMI enough.

The money is already wired into my bank account and the buyer is having his driver meet me in my bank lobby on Tuesday. The bank will go surety for the transaction since I have my 'assets' posted there - so that's cool too.

Wow --- this went F-A-S-T.

I had no idea that this bass was such a hot number, but the new owner has five of them in sequential numerical order now with this one - so that might be a big part of it.

LINK TO DOCUMENT: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Idc-9BB6GtqZbtapUPtDWP0EcGA78IaY-yMXD6myNyY/edit

Their attorneys provided me with their boilerplate, and I just filled in what I thought was correct.

I had spare time to play this bass, and even as good as it looks, it isn't something I'd own because of my phobia (what else can I call it?) of owning used gear and that it is a short scale.

Other than that and if the party who 'gave it to me' wasn't in dire financial condition, I might have considered keeping it as a conversation piece.

They didn't expect that it had this much value - nor did I - but I know they will be quite relieved to get the money in it's place.

Until I posted this here on TB (deleted now) and on a friend's business network-link, I'd have never ever thought it would work out this way.

2. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    Holy C!@#!! That's Crazy! Congrats.... :)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm not the least bit surprised. That's a bass you just don't see every day, especially in that shape. Too rich for my blood, but sounds like this guy won't miss his $4500.

4. I'm beginning to believe that some old things are better off remembered rather than owned. Those things that we remember about days past are full of disassociated memories.

Snow was a) deeper, winters were b) colder, beer was c) yucky tasting, school was d) a drudge --- when in reality a) we were shorter, b) we had less body fat, c) we were ignorant d) if we knew then what we know now, we'd have paid more attention. ​

I think the attraction for this bass is full of a lot of somewhat dis-associative memories too: it just wasn't that good.

I tried to not play it much since I didn't want to develop a taste for it --- but that never happened.

Whatever the attraction is for this instrument beside the collector's needs to fill an inside straight with sequential serial numbers, really doesn't make sense to me.

It wasn't a 'bad' bass and in my eyes it certainly wasn't a 'great' bass either. I could have kept and played it if I had to, but being spoiled by the iconic Fender design first, it never would be a go-to bass for me.

If it was the only bass I'd even known it would be different; then I'd have been ignorant of the better playability of other instruments.

But to be sure, the operative word here is 'had', as in: "I HAD a Mosrite".

<sigh> They don't build 'em like that any more ---- thank goodness. </sigh>

I'll put this on the internet where it'll never die::

100_0819. 100_0820.

It proves that I had one for a short while.

5. Update:::

The sale is completed; the driver got the Mosrite and he said it was even better than he thought it would be. He was talking to his boss on the phone when he said that, so I felt really good about it all.

The bank monitored and authorized, then posted the electronic transfer into my account and everybody's happy.

Then the driver took me to lunch. It was a win/win/win for me - full belly, money in the bank and a bass that went to someone who really wanted it bad enough to bid up to a higher than asked for closing price.

I took the money back out of my account and have it in an envelope to give to my friends who badly need it, in many ways.

Here's an interesting sidebar: the Mosrite case that I had seen was not the correct hardcase for this bass. Instead, the correct original Mosrite hard case was in almost perfect condition! The one I saw was very RW and would score badly as a collector's item.

But the correct case is almost store-new 9.99999/10 and it had ALL the case candy, not just a hand written tag and sales receipt.

There was even a flyer of the Mosrite models for that time period, neatly folded up and inside the case!

So-o-o-o --- now I have to ask another question: is there another Mosrite bass somewhere in their house that I don't know about?

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    It's great that you could help your friend, Joe! And, getting a free lunch is never a bad thing!

It's true about memories of older stuff. As much as I enjoyed my '64 1/2 Mustang, my '99 with a V6 handles better, performs better, and is way more reliable. It isn't as pretty, though. ;)