1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gonkulator on ebay for 66 dollars!?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sonic assassin, Mar 20, 2009.

1. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    What are these pedals like then? By coincidence I spotted one for sale locally last night for about £50...

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's hilarious, just a few years ago you couldn't give one away, the going price was $30 all day long.

3. they are horrendous. listen to "glass" by incubus.

but its that obnoxious sound that made them popular.

4. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    someone should just clone em. sound like butt.....but for a straight up noise project.....or ambience they may sound cool

5. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    I messed w/ one at GC awhile back and was kind of surprised by how good the distortion circuit sounded in it. If you turn down the ring mod, or whatever it is, you could have a pretty solid bass OD.

6. *Whacked-out/pseudo/neo-psychedelic/ambient/industrial/annoying/noise flavor of the week*. I predict a good 150% increase(over the OP's $66)before the auction ends.

7. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Funny thing about those.... and I don't know much about ring modulators or even how they work....but whenever I tried one, it always seemed to be oscillating something like a Bb.

I like the name, though.:D

8. it is my understanding that it is a DOD grunge circuit in there. just what i was told, could be wrong.

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The deal is that the incoming instrument signal is modulated against an oscillator tone. 99% of ring mods have a fixed modulation pitch, or one where you select the pitch with a knob and it doesn't change while you play. The rare "good ones" IMO have some more dynamic control over the oscillation pitch.

10. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Ahaa.... but doesn't that mean you're essentially stuck playing everything over a set drone?

11. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    I had one, I think I remember that it was tuned at Bb. There is a trim pot inside to set what I assume to be the null point for the oscillator.

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yeah, I mean it's not literally a drone, but yes it's the same mind-numbing and anti-melodic idea. The main aggravation to me is not the actual pitch of the modulation signal, but rather that it sounds so inconsistent between all the different notes you play, and IMO 80% of the sounds will be ugly, and not in a good way.

13. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    No, in a well-designed ring modulator, you don't actually ever hear the oscillator.

The Gonkulator is unique in that it doesn't let you change the oscillator pitch, which makes it rather useless even to a ring mod fiend like myself.

14. Yeah, and then they put three volume controls on the thing... OD vol, ring mod volume and overall volume. If you can control the volume of the OD and the ring mod, you don't need an overall volume control. It's a wasted knob. But it is possible to disconnect the overall volume control and mod it to be a freq control for the oscillator. Some folks at diystompboxes figured that out some time ago, and I did the mod on my gonk. The details could probably be searched up over there pretty easily if anyone is interested.

~ Charlie