Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gonna Be a Dad!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HamOnTheCob, Apr 4, 2005.

1. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    :hyper:

I recently found out that I'm going to be a father. :) My fiance is about 4 or 5 weeks along, and I thought I'd let my Talkbass family know. :)

As you can probably tell, I'm extremely excited! I should be holding my little girl (I don't know, just have a feeling it'll be a girl. hehe) in November or December if everything goes as planned. If it's a girl, her name will be Sarah Rosina (2 of my grandmothers' names) and if it's a boy, we plan to name him Jacob Hamilton after myself. Twins run in Mindy's family, and everyone keeps saying she's going to have them. LoL We'll see about that. ;) As long as it's a healthy pregnancy, I won't be picky about whether it's a boy or girl, or whether there's one or two or however many. :)

Now on with the jokes about what an unfortunate situation it will be for a child to have me for a dad. LoL

Jake

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Congrats! (Get ready for life, as you know it, to change...in a big way)

Hope the little one is healthy and everything goes wonderfully!

3. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    Wow, congrads! That's great news! I hope your family has a healthy and happy pregnancy! :)

4. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Thank you for the kind regards. :)

And yes, I very much expect everything to change, but I need it to. I need to kick some college habits, such as being lazy, sleeping in, staying up all night, and most of all, being laid back and apathetic about nearly everything around me.

I'm also not much of a socialite, so it'll be nice to now have a reason why I'm not out with my friends on the weekends. :)

My dad left my mother and me when I was 2 (I do have an amazing step-father that I call "Dad"), and I know I will be a much better father. It's exciting to know I'm going to be at least partly responsible for the kind of person my son or daughter grows up to be. I'll do my best and give my whole self to ensure that my child has an amazing experience through the journey of life.

Jake

5. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Congratulations - thats fantastic news! Best of luck to you and your fiance!

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Congrats, you naughty boy, you! :D

7. Congratulations! Are you going to raise him or her to be a musician?

8. scottz0369

scottz0369

Mar 1, 2005
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Congratulations!
    I remember being apprehensive when people told me that everything would change when I had kids. It turns out that the change is far far better than I could have ever expected. I was amazed at how fast my priorities changed, and how much I was OK with that.
    It's a whole new world. Enjoy, and God bless you and yours.

Scott in Okinawa.

9. Congratulations - I'm all excited now!

Hehe, if your new arrival comes in November, make sure it's on the 9th, 'cos that's a very important day. :p

10. Congratulations!! I have 2 myself.

Mike

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  13. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Also practice. For the last three years, now, I've done about all of my practicing on the bandstand (they're 5 and 1, so I'd guess I have about two more years of this).

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Yeah, And get your Sadowskys now! Congrats Dude! :)

15. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Congrats you lucky bastard, I wanna have one :bawl:

16. I'll ride some other responses and add my own. Your life will definitely change. You won't care how much time you don't have to do other stuff. You will not get much sleep for the first 3-6 months, but the time flies so fast you don't notice it. You won't realize how unanimated your child is until he/she begins to react with the environment. Once this change occurs, you will refer to the past as the "blob" stage. You'll be surprised at how much a child can cost, and how easy it is to find the money in your current budget for something so important (don't ever total this amount and compare it to bass gear...it's depressing). One of the greatest satisfactions I've had to date is teaching my first daughter the word "bass" as early as possible. One of the most painful is hearing her refer to her bass (I gave her the cheap one) as a "guitar" and trying to find out who the idiot that taught her that word is.

You'll have a great time. The preganacy is stressing. All of it is worth it. Enjoy.

Mike

Almost forgot. Everyone will give you advice. They do not know what they are talking about. Follow your gut.

17. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Very true. And when you have time, you'll struggle to remember what you used to do with it.

Amen, brother. Important: do not read parenting magazines. Do not let your fiancé read parenting magazines. (The What to Expect When... books are really useful, though -- get the "expecting," "first year," and "toddler" ones!)

18. Congrats!

I can't speak from personal experience about your life changing and whatnot, so congratulations is pretty much the best I can do. :)

19. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Thank you all very sincerely for the kind words! :)

You betcha! I wish I could've gotten an early start with music. I didn't get into it until I was 16. I'm not going to glue my child's hand to a bass or anything, but I'm going to make sure there are plenty of instruments around and lots of different music for my son or daughter to listen to. I'll be supportive of whatever my kids want to do in their lives (as long as it's not illegal or something. haha).

I'll talk to her tummy and tell the baby when to arrive just for you. LoL

Just steal one, the parents won't mind I'm sure. :bag:

haha thanks, you should've said that at the beginning of your post so I could ignore it. ;) jk

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll check those out!

You guys all rock. Thanks.
    Jake