1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gonna be in DC - Anything to do in this town?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hambone, Dec 19, 2006.

1. My son and I will be flying in tomorrow night and leaving the 27th. We're staying at the Embassy Suites at the DC Convention Center. No business, just sightseeing over the Christmas holiday. Neither of us are feeling much like celebrating. Regardless, we'll be at the morning mass at the National Cathedral :) . We intend to turn the Smithsonian upside down and see the other sights. So where's some good food?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    "Old Ebbit Grille" is a Washington Landmark. Worth visiting for lunch or dinner. If you've got deep pockets "Kinkead's" is one of the best restaurants in town. Avoid Phillips, it's awful. When visiting the Mall, always go to the North side for lunch and dinner.

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Go to lunch at a place not far from the Capitol called My Brother's Place.

4. Cool, that's exactly the type of stuff I was looking for.

Is there an "offbeat" or small but stellar museum in the area? I'm a history freak and love these sorts of sights.

5. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The National Cathedral is a great place to poke around... the gargoyles are interesting, the interior is beautiful, and the pictorial (upstairs?) that documents its construction is alone worth the visit.

The Smithsonian is always a great way to spend an afternoon.

My in-laws are Turkish and live there. We always go to a great Turkish restaurant (if you're up for something different) when we visit, but I forget where it is exactly; I'll be happy to find out if you'd like. I'll be there this weekend too.

6. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There's a Masonic museum, but I don't know much about it. Also, I'd highly recommend Monticello if you've never seen it. But that would probably require a car rental.

7. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    If you're into historic, then Old Town Alexandria is a neat place to visit. It's pretty accessible by Metro. If you have a car, a drive down to Fredericksburg is neat if you're into Revolutionary War/Civil War kind of stuff.

As far as places to eat, there's a bunch of cool places to eat in DC. Especially, if you're into ethnic food. I'm more familiar with what's in VA vs what's in DC, but Lauriol Plaza is a neat place if you're into Tex-Mex.

You can also catch a show at the Kennedy Center, depending who's playing there.

Oh, and there's a cool bass shop in Alexandria that's worth a visit ;)

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I've been there a couple of times, but not for food. They have a $12 all the beer you can drink special on at least one of the weekend nights. Kind of a hard place to find though.

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
  10. I say go lowbrow, low cost great food. :)

1) Hodges BBQ, just around the corner from 11th and L Streets NW. :cool:

2) Capital City Brewery, a bit more up-scale, but not too much. They serve great warm-soft pretzels as appetizers while you wait for your meal, good specialty beers too. 1100 New York Ave. NW. :eyebrow:

3) Stoney’s, 1307 L Street NW. Great burgers, salads, almost anything. It' small, but the food is great, and reasonably priced. :hyper:

OR- Just hit M Street in the Georgetown area; there are hundreds of bars, restaurants, and things to see. (The stairs from the Exorcist movie are there next to the Exxon gas station on M Street neat the bridge to Alexandria, Virginia. (An easy walk from the food and bars.) ;)

11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    If you visit Old Town Alexandria

1) Landini Brothers (sp?)
    2) Charthouse Grill
    3) The water side

If you stay in DC

1) Try and get tickets to Fords Theater (Where Licoln was assassinated)
    2) Check out the car show (if it's here when you are)
    3) Washington monument is cool

Don't check out this place called Jive Sound....it's horrible. Some asian guy talks to you the entire time you're trying to play. It's horrible!

:bag:

:0

12. There's a relatively new Spy Museum. It's not in the mall area with the Smithsonian museums. Should be a bit different, but I've never been there, so can't comment on it. Worth a search.

If you have a rental car make a trip to Baltimore and/or Annapolis. They are both about an hour away. Annapolis has a quaint harbor area with brick streets, colonial rowhouses, bars, restaurants, endless boats, etc. If you make it there Saturday night, check out my band at The Whiskey.

The Smithsonian museums are huge and you won't be able to see them all. My faves are Natural History, Air and Space, and American History, in that order. Use the Metro(subway) to avoid parking hassles.

There are some good restaurants in the Georgetown (M St) and Dupont Circle areas.

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Spy Museum is very popular and is near where you are staying, walking distance.

14. Good call. I ate there a couple of months ago and it was excellent.