1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gonna be in Ft. Worth w/ this bass this weekend

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by Monte, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    If anyone is seriously interested, I can bring this bass down with me to Ft. Worth Saturday and Sunday. I can personally vouch for it, as I owned it for about 7 years before selling it to buy my Klotz copy. Sold it to a sax player who never had time to play it, and I'm trying to help him sell it, although I'm making nothing on it. Thought it was sold last month, but the student's parents ended up buying a new Italian, so it is back on the market.

It is a ~1930 5 string, probably a Juzek or Wilfer Master Art roundback gamba according to luthiers who have seen it. It is currently set up as a 4 string, but if someone wanted a 5, all they would need is a new bridge and nut as he still has the original 5 string tailpiece. It is in A+ condition. I mean this thing looks as if it has never had a major crack. It looks like there was an old repair under the bottom block because the lining is funny there, but it is solid and has given no trouble since I bought it in 1996 or 97. I have never had to repair an open seam or crack, in spite of the fact that until 3 years ago I didn't know things like it needed to be humidified in the winter, etc. There are some scratches on the side from scraping against a piano bench on a crowded bandstand, but it is in good shape with original varnish. It has a brand new great ebony fingerboard put on in December 2002, and has a fairly new handmade Mike Pecanic Wenge tailpiece and Velvet tailpiece cord, and fairly new Kolstein Heritage strings. It is loud and set up for jazz, although I've used it for orchestral work as well. Just put on a new adjustable bridge.

Earl is only asking $6500 for it, which is what he paid for it, and IMHO it is worth every penny. It would make a great bass for someone who wanted to experiment with a 5 string, although I love it as a 4.

Contact me ASAP if you want me to bring it down with me. I'll be in Ft. Worth most of Christmas and the 26th.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Anyone?

Let me know by 6 pm Friday the 24th!! I have 2 gigs Friday night, and won't check e-mail before I leave Saturday, and won't bring this with me unless someone is interested.

Monte