Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gonna be in Montreal next week

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 6, 2005.

1. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Hello - Anyone from Montreal? I'm going to be there for a conference next week (Monday - Friday). I'll be fairly busy (and preoccupied with my paper presentation) but would like to enjoy the beautiful city.

Any shows/events/gigs I should check out? Restaurant suggestions (I'm a vegetarian foodie on a tight budget)? Music stores? And, if anyone wants to grab a beer or whatever, drop me a line.

Cheers,
    Marshall

2. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    they got the best strip clubs in north american! :)

3. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    um, thanks, but strip clubs aren't my thing.

any other suggestions?

Marshall

4. Greg R

Greg R

Mar 11, 2003
    Avonmore, ON
    The biggest music store in Montreal is Steve's and its at 51 St Antoine St.

For info on what's going on in the clubs while you're there and restaurant ideas check out http://www.montrealmirror.com/2005/032405/inside.html

You should also peruse their archives for more choices. Montreal's a great city, probably the most "european" city in North America. For a large place its actually quite friendly and not intimidating in the least. If you don't speak french, stay on the west island, Pointe Clair, etc. It's nearly all english although you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who won't be able to speak to you in english anyways.

Maybe sign yourself up here http://www.montrealmusicscene.com/cgi-bin/mms/YaBB.pl and get some advice from the natives too. I've played Montreal many times and their input was invaluable. A lot of these folks will be on stage during your stay too.

Enjoy the visit!

5. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks Greg!

I'll definitely check those sites out. I do plan on practicing my French, but as I'm out of practice, I'm far from fluent.

Anybody else with ideas...fire away.

Looking forward to crepes et pommes frites,
    Marshall

6. Si tu vais manger des pommes frites tu est obligés de manger de la poutine. Heh not too sure about the spelling but I hope you give poutine a shot. It really is the Quebec food for the masses. Aside from the sugar bush and all the other great stuff they have. It's too bad you don't eat meat. Montreal is home to the best smoked meat in the world. Schwartz's Deli is GOD and staffed by angry Jewish immigrants. A great time. From what I can tell the people there are pretty friendly. Just ask the locals where they eat, you can't go wrong. Hope you enjoy your stay.

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thrash Jazz used to hang out here, but he is mostly over at ]
    the the Nutnow,
    slide over there and introduce yourself, Adam is a real cool cat, and loves to get together with other bassplayers.

He went on a trip to see the ombudsman the other day,
    apparently a good time was had by all.

Bon Appetit!

8. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Excusez-moi, il y'a quatorze ans que j'etudie la francais (au lycee). Il faut que je pratiquer! je vais essayer la poutine...je pense qu'il n'ya pas de la viande dans la poutine! :)

thanks for your suggestions thor! it'd be cool to meet up with some fellow bassplayers...

merci,
    Marshall

9. Indeed! Beer and music by the truckload! :hyper:

Rien de mieux qu'une bonne poutine avec du steak haché et des oignons frits, accompagnée d'une bonne grosse bière frette! *burp*

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    on ira manger de la poutine ensemble :D

For the restaurants look here:

http://ekwest.restaurant.ca/scripts...id=4&language_id=fr&website_id=1&partner_id=9

look for centre ville (downtown, this is probably where you will be).

look for cuisine végétarienne...

It's in french but I can see that your french is very good so you shound't have any problems.
    If you have some free time just walk on Ste-Catherine, or go in the old montreal. There is many things to do in those 2 places.

11. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    How was Montreal? I'm going again in July. Anything you recommend checking out aside from the poutine (which I love)? Anything that was a disappointment?

12. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Already seems like a long time ago. I had a pretty good time...although I didn't explore as much as I would have liked. The paper I presented was at the end of the conference, which meant more time for me to obsess over details, rather than enjoy myself. Still, it's a great city and I had fun working on my French.

Old Montreal was nice, but didn't seem to have much going on later in the evening (or maybe that was just me). Visited Ste. Catherine too.

Quibbles - I couldn't find really good Asian food in the Chinatown area (tried twice)...should've stuck with Canadian fare (but man cannot live on frites alone). My main disappointment was my hotel room (Travelodge Centre Ville) - a shoebox with two twin bunk beds (4 beds) jammed in it leaving a couple of feet of floor space.

Marshall