1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gonna change my speakers...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobunit, Apr 17, 2009.

1. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    So I want to change out the drivers in one of my EB 210 cabs and I need to figure out what driver impedance I need to have 8ohms total. Now I know some of you are gonna say the cab won't sound right with different drivers, but this one already had changed drivers (Eminence Deltas) when I bought it.
    What I want to install are the B&C Neo drivers, but like I said, I'm not sure where to purchase to get the resulting 8 ohms. The only B&C Neos I have found are 8 ohms (Parts Express, US Speaker, etc). My pathetic math skills tell me that two 8ohm drivers are not going to get me 8 ohms. Right? :smug: So I guess I'm lost. Any suggestions?
    :confused:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You're correct, 2 8's will never equal 8. Either 2 4's in seies, or 2 16's parallel.

3. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    Beyma 12G40's are available in 4 Ohms from US Speaker. These are good bass speakers though a bit pricey, you might be better off buying a new cab.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    The FAQ thread is worth searching before you waste money on expensive drivers that may be completely unsuitable for the cabinet you own. Do as Bofee suggests.

Paul

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +100. Not to be condescending, but if you don't know how to figure out impedance the last thing you should be contemplating is choosing drivers on your own. There's a lot more to it than ohms and watts.