Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gonna get a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phee, Jan 2, 2001.

1. Phee

Phee

Jan 2, 2001
    Maryland
    my birthday is coming up soon and my dad is going to take me to Litz (sp?) Music, which is somewhere around the Gaithersburg MD, Washington D.C. area, to get a new bass (i currently have a Squier P-Bass) even though my current bass isn't that good, i've tried other Fenders, and i really like their play. any suggestions on whether or not i should get a P-Bass, J-Bass, or something else?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Tim- If your aol handle, "funkypunkbass" is an indicator and seeing the bands you like, an American made P could well be your best bet. Mine's a pre-CBS but I haven't played an MIA Fender in quite a few years. The Precis is one of the hall of famers for tight, punchy, gutsy sound and can get raw and ripping with roundwounds and a decent amp. The Jazz is characterized by its rounder, warmer, fuller sound. Try several of both out if you can. Not all basses are created equal, even those with fairly high quality control standards like Fender. There are jewels and dogs even among the same model, particularly when your dealing with production line instruments like Fender. (The dealer should be real glad to see you and let you try a few since many people are tapped out financially after the holidays). Also, try them out through an amp that closely resembles your own so you aren't unpleasantly surprised when you get home.

Your grandfather played bass for 40 years? :cool:

[Edited by rickbass1 on 01-02-2001 at 05:10 PM]

3. It really depends how much money you have to spend. MIA Fenders are great and all, but if you don't have an unlimited budget, then you can't afford them and they won't do you any good. How much do you have? As for the oldest question in bass history, P or Jazz, I say Jazz. I just like the neck and having two pickups.

4. Phee

Phee

Jan 2, 2001
    Maryland
    yeah, i'm definately going to go play as many basses as i can before i finally decide what i'm going to get. as of right now, i don't have all that much to spend, but my uncle has connections, and can get me a good deal. although i play a lot of main stream stuff, i do love to play funk (herbie hancock, weather report etc.) i also enjoy playing jazz with my dad (miles davis, adderly, mingus, etc.) that's why i'm having a hard time deciding what i want. but i guess in the end, it'll come down to each bass's playability.

5. Phee

Phee

Jan 2, 2001
    Maryland
    yeah, my grandpa's a 40-year vet!