1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GONNA GET ME A 51 re-issue P-BASS !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geezer316, Jun 3, 2003.

1. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i recentely got a new job(doing demolition work in the union)and have been looking around for a new bass. i have only owned 1 bass that was brand new when i bought it,all the other ones were used.so i decided to reward myself after i get all my bills up to date which will take 2 more weeks. I wanted to get something a bit different than usual,i already have been through a few jazz basses(i only have 1 left and its a SQUIER jazz),i've been through a few p-basses(i held on to my japanese p/j bass special)and i decided i wanted a p-bass but what model was the question i needed to investigate.so i was reading my fender 2003 catalog and came across the 51 re-issue models,a pink paisely,blue flower:)spit: ),sunburst(regular model or sting series)or the butterscotch blonde.after playing all those models i decided on the b/scotch blonde as my new family member. its not a bass that you see every day and its what made the p-bass what it is today,its like a piece of history.the only thing i dont like is the fact that i have no where to put my thumb while playing the E string,I usually use the pick-up cover to rest my thumb on(the plastic one that covers the actual p/up not the chrome one that covers the whole thing).i dont want to add a plastic finger rest and i dont want to put any holes in the body to install the 2 chrome p/up and bridge covers and the single coil pick-up is almost counter sunk in the body leaving me no place to rest my finger. other than that tiny issue i put a down-payment on it and should have the loot $$ in about 3 weeks. its such a beautiful bass and the fact that not many people play that model makes it more attractive,i still love the "other" style p-bass its just nice to be a tad bit different
    PS sorry about the long thread once i started writing it just kept coming:D )