gonna get started in bass playing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 2muchbass4u, Jul 17, 2002.

1. 2muchbass4u

Jul 17, 2002
    a house
    i am thinking about starting and i need help on a good bass. i have found a starter kit with an amp, cords, bass, case, and some more stuff. and all for a reasonably cheap price. im either getting just the bass or buying a starter kit if i just get the bass ill have to borrow a amp from my neighbor(hes gonna teach me)or get one used off good old ebay. which is better for a first time bassist?
  2. If you're set on that ESP, then get that. It's got the typical P/J pickup set up, and it has a 24 fret fingerboard. Then try to get the biggest amp you can for the money. I think you'll like that ESP better than the Epi EB-O.

Good luck.
    Mike J.
  3. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I'm not convinced that starter kits provide actual value. They give you stuff you don't need at a hidden price to give the appearance of value.

Do I sound overly cynical? Maybe, but I would say get a better bass with the money you'd spend on the whole kit, and be patient with the rest!

BTW, this looks like a great deal on some "starter kit" gear: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=894136095

(The Peavey Microbass is a great little practice amp. Good sound and damned near indestructable, IME!)
  4. 2muchbass4u

Jul 17, 2002
    a house
    another thing, i looked on www.musiciansfriend.com and they said that the B50 was a left handed guitar, does thet mean you have your lefo hand on the neck or right hand on the neck? im new, so humor me here.
  5. if you write with your right hand your left hand goes on the fingerboard.
    if your left-handed your right hand goes on the fingerboard.
  6. My first bass was a MIM Fender Standard Jazz. I bought it about 2 years ago and i still use it. It has been through a lot of traveling (school marching band), reckless use, and it still goes strong and sounds great. I strongly suggest this fender (or better) for a first bass.
  7. Yea man - all I can say is get something half way decent for your first bass. No need to spend out of control money, but for 2-3hundred you can get something really nice off a place like Ebay. And believe me, from experience, I know that you will tire of the crappy starter set in a matter of weeks!

I was very opposed to Fenders when I started playing, but then one day I went to the music store, picked one up, and was pretty much sold. I quickly sold my 'other' bass, and got a used fender p-bass special off ebay for a great price(around 300 clams). I have been very happy ever since.

One word of advice - If you use something like ebay, use caution! Look for some threads here on how to use it properly. It will take some research on your part about the products you are bidding on, but it can really pay off. Oh, and if you do find something you like, wait til the last minute(literally) to bid on it. That assures that you win, and you keep the price down.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Later -
  8. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Not so...i write w/ my left hand and play a right handed bass

9. Yea, I'm with cap. I'm left-handed and I play a right handed bass. I CAN play a left-handed bass but I prefer right and I'm more used to it. Besides, right-handed basses are cheaper and much more options.
  10. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    That 180 foot cord is quite a value.
  11. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Ain't it, tho'? :p
  12. Before you buy, I would go to every music store I know and try out as much basses as possible.
    Don't be embarassed about not knowing how to play yet, the salesperson should be happy that he or she has an opportunity to sell, so go for it !
    Different instruments have a different feel to them, and it's important that you're bass feels right to you. (thickness of the neck, string-spacing, ...)
    For me, the jazzbass (mine's a cheap copy) feels just right, but it's a very personal thing, you have to try it for yourself.
    Good luck with your new purchase and welcome to Talkbass.
  13. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I approve of that ESP, as well as their other 4 string models. Not bad basses at all, quite exceptional. Get a nice SWR amp like a Workingman 10, 12, 15, or their new combo amps (dont know the names).

I also recommend a MIM Fender P-Bass. Very good starter bass. Just play some of them in the store, go with someone who is experienced with basses, and make your decision.
  14. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

I write left-handed and fret with my left hand. I remember as a kid my parents and baseball coach tried to get me to throw left handed, but it just wouldn't work for me.

Also, I used to play violin (fretted? with left hand), and I have to see anyone fret with their right hand, so maybe this training when I was young is what has me fretting with my left hand on bass.
  15. Perhaps you are ambidextrous, or maybe you can use both hands with equal ease? :rolleyes:

Sorry. :D

Mike J.
  16. 2muchbass4u

Jul 17, 2002
    a house
    when was 8 i had a mini accustic guitar(not bass) and i fretted with my left hand, and i right with both hands, equal esae with both, cool, im ambidextrous, but is a left handed bass meant to be fretted with a left hand or right?

BTW., i found a nice squire bass pack, mabye the right choice? or ill just buy the B50(left handed) and barrow my friends mini amp.
  17. A left-handed bass is fretted with your right hand.

I would try out basses at your local store and have a bassist go with you. From what I've heard, Squiers can be very hit or miss.
  18. 2muchbass4u

Jul 17, 2002
    a house
    ok, sounds like a good idea, i might go today if my mom gets out of work early.
  19. When you do, have fun! I'm assuming your neighbor (who is giving you lessons) is a bassist?
  20. 2muchbass4u

Jul 17, 2002
    a house
    yup he is, he used to do jazz as a kid and has been playing for about 15 years.