Gonna lose few lbs!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    As most of us know, all this eating during holiday season can put up your weight and most of us find that unfavorable, so am I the only one thinking of losing some weight afterwards?

I think I might be going for more than just ounce or two this time. There's something like 20-25lbs extra weight around my waist and I'm getting bit tired of lugging it all around. I took a slight head start: I have cut bit from my eatings and exercised somewhat more lately - I'm already one or two lbs thinner.

Anyways, I think it's time to take bit more healthier direction in my life, and would be interested to hear if anyone else is going for it? All the tips and experiences are welcome, of course! :)

PS. Has anyone tried any gym supplements ment for burning fat? I've heard all kinds of stuff about calcium-pyruvate and CLA and such, do they really help you?
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I'll Join you on your crusade, tsal.

I have decided to abolish (or drastically reduce) sugar from my daily diet. While I have the frame to carry around the weight, I surely don't think I want it if I can live without it.
  3. i don't know about supplements, but this hot apple pie and ice cream i'm eating right now sure tastes good! :eek: :eek:

ok, ok, i'm just joshin. :D
  4. I'm 6' and 280, I want to be 200-220. I tried cutting back, dropping beer and that didn't help. I tried that Thermo-Burn Fat Attack II crap and I thought I was going to have a heart attack for two months. So my idea, I got laid off Nov. 1st and had the chance to carry on my job with the company that took it. It involved a lot of sitting in a van and not working hard so I instead got a job with a Lawn Care company. I think I lost 10 lbs in the first week! I worked with a guy for two days that lost 30 in seven months with no diet and still eating the double 1/4 pounders at McD's. I hope this works for me. Once I get down there I am going to get some peircings, grow the hair long, take yoga and martail arts and start to be a bass playing DLR!!! I have just never really moved all my life, I don't like sports so I have just gained over the years.

Anyway, maybe try a job change-if that is impossible try losing soda and cutting carbs (bread pasta beer soda potatos etc.) I lost about 10 lbs that way until i gave up. It is hard-Good Luck
  5. First of all, good for you! Living healthy is one of the best things you can do for yourself. I got into bodybuilding a little less than two years ago, and put on about 30 pounds of muscle, and gained a lot of strength. Be prepared though, changing your body is hard work.

A sound exercize program, along with a low calorie diet are all you need. Low calorie is relative, about 500 calories per day less than you use is low enough, don't go crazy. If you're losing more than a pound or two a week, it's probably muscle you're losing, and then the fat'll come back. Training with weights would help, but at least do some cardio 3 times a week, for maybe a half hour. Moderate intensity would be best, don't knock yourself out. You should be able to talk while you're working out, but you wouldn't want to be able to hold a conversation. Cut refined sugar, refined flour, and alcohol out of your diet. Eat 6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism up. Drink plenty of water, AT LEAST 2 litres a day. Your diet should include lean meats, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats, from nuts and oils. Supplements can be useful, but make sure you have your diet and exercize in order before you even think of them. No supplement can replace that. The only supplement I can recommend to everyone is a multivitamin, especially if you're in calorie deficit, because you'll be getting less from food. If you decide to take a fat loss supplement such as ephedrine, just make sure you do your research first. They can be a great help, but if you're not careful you can hurt yourself. I'll post more if I think of any. I'm bulking up right now, so I haven't had to diet in a while, and I can't remember all that much.
  6. so you want to lose a few lbs. go work for UPS guranteed to lose 15 lbs your first month there.
  7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I'm in the same boat, Tsal. I'm 5'8" and weigh about 178. I'm not huge, but I used to be really skinny, and I'm getting tired of carrying this spare tire around. I got a treadmill for Christmas, so hopefully I can stick with it and shed a few pounds. Unfortunately, I have a very sedentary job and I have a very low energy level lately. I've been the archetypal couch potato for awhile now, and really need to get off my ass....
  8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm with you guys. After a couple of years of living with my girlfriend (an amazing cook_, we've both gotten a bit heavier than we'd like. I'm 6'2 and 238 lbs, and I want to get back down to about 200. Like Blackbird, I've got the frame to support the weight, but I am turning 30 in February, and I want to get in better shape so I don't feel like I'm 45 when I'm 35.
  9. I used to weigh 297. In about 9 months I was down to 194. That's an attractive woman I lost ya'll.

I basically did what is described by Ulyanov. Lots of small meals, cut out the sugary stuffs. Just cut out the crap basically. Started fixing all my meals ahead of time, so I was less tempted to eat too much. Saved a lot of money also! There's a side benefit.

I was up again to about 225 in april of this year, and am now hanging at 191-196. Just go workout 3-4 times a week. Treadmill 15, 18, or 30 minutes depending on what I wanna do for lifting. 15minutes means I'm running my @ss off. 18 usually equates to 2 miles. 30 is slow and steady, heart rate at about 155-160. If I run hard, then I just do some toning exercises. If 18 min, I tend to lift for a while decently heavy/long sets. If 30, then I do lots of light weight exercises. So now I like how I look, and am doing pretty good health wise. Haven't been sick in a long time!
  10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Man, thats great. This is also something I have been thinking about lately. For 8 years, I had the very physical profession of installing flooring, but in the last few months, I decided to go to the retail end of the business, due to the trade beginning to take its toll on my body, specifically the knees. What also sucks is, there is a bar directly next door that has killer lunch specials daily, which we take full advantage of (daily). I haven't stepped on the scales since I stopped installing, but I know I have obviously gained. Clothes are fitting tighter than ever, and I can honestly feel the extra weight as I move around....it really sucks. To make matters worse, I usually drink a minimum of 6-10 pops a day, usually code red MD. I need to do something about this, as it is taking its toll on me both physically, and mentally. Just wish I had the willpower to just do it.......hmm, may just have to.
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Ditto on what Ulyanov said.

There's a great book called "Banish Your Belly" that Men's Health magazine puts out that has loads of useful information on eating right, exercising, weight training and living a fit, healthy life. I think it's really important to learn as much as possible in order to not waste time. Lots of people start dieting, working out, trying to get healthier - and wind up doing just the opposite.

I think it's important to never give up. I've been trying to get into shape for many many years and could never stay committed. The only thing I stayed comitted to was never giving up, and I've been on a few year roll now. I started countless get-healthy programs before that. I'd last a week, a month, sometimes 3 months.

I also made a lot of life changes gradually. Gave up drinking a long time ago, years later gave up smoking, then slowly did away with sugar, red meat, chicken, fish.... took years though, and I now eat pretty damn healthfully. Salt is next on my hit list. Oh yeah, supplements are on my hit list too, I use them from time to time but I don't always feel good about that...... which brings me to the next subject.....

weight loss supplements. I've used Xenadrine, and it works. I think it's also addictive, and I believe it can kill you. Xenadrine is a mix of ephedra, caffeine, aspirin and some other stuff I think (there are many other such products on the market -hydroxycut for one). Taken as prescribed on the label I believe it can really mess someone up. They tell you to take 4 a day, 2 upon waking up - 2 later in the afternoon. I can't imagine what that would do to an overweight out of shape person. I'm in shape and 2 of them on an empty stomach would send my heart into a tailspin. 4 would absolutely knock out any notion of sleeping that night. I'd advise taking 1/2 a capsule in the beginning - testing your tolerence and NEVER getting up to the recommended 4 a day dosage. I also wouldn't do it for more than a 2 month period.

I took my 1/2 on an empty stomach in the morning and it gave me the energy to go out and run. I ran for about 20 minutes, rested (I live 20 minutes from the shore) for about the same, than ran back home. Did that about 4 times a week and I lost love handles that I thought were part of my geneology. Before that, I bought into that myth that some people can just NEVER get rid of love handles. It's a lie.

Oh yeah... I weight trained 4 times a week also. Still do, knocked out the running though cuz I started hurting my knees and ankles.

Obviously I could go on and on and on about this stuff. If you have any specific questions, and if I'm able to answer them I'd be happy to if ya wanna email me.

Good luck.
  12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I'm extremely skinny. PAINFULLY skinny, and even more painfully weak. I'm a bank teller, so I never do anything strenuous. I'm a bookworm since I take night classes, so I NEVER have time to work out or do anything toning. Occasionally on weekends I help out around the house, but rarely doing anything really strenuous. I want to bulk up (read: muscle up), but I never have time to do ANYTHING. It gets really frustrating. My girlfriend likes for me to carry her (and I like carrying her), but she's gained a little bit and I'm getting weaker by the day, so its a strain for me to carry her much anymore.

I wanna get a Bowflex...I don't need to LOSE weight, I just need to tone, and I need something I can do at home, late at night. But, I have no money, so therefore no Bowflex.
  13. Hunter585 - contrary to popular belief, you don't have to spend your whole life in the gym to get bigger. I recommend you read Beyond Brawn by Stuart McRobert. It's about how to get bigger and more muscular, and it's aimed at average people - people with average genetics and drug free. It advocates working out twice a week for less than an hour, and concentrating on heavy lifting, along with enough rest and a sound diet. Some people think it's the best book on weight training ever written. I can't comment too much on that yet though, because I only got it a few weeks ago, so it's hard to say if his training methods have worked yet.

Oh, and forget about bowflex. It's a nice machine and all, but if at all possible, go to a gym, or at least use some free weights in your basement.