1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

gonna trade in my aggie but for what?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fretless Bob, Apr 6, 2006.

1. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i.ve had my aguilar db750 for like a year and a half now and even through it sounds awesome i cant stand lugging that thing around and i would also like a sound that is a bit less mushy in the lows.

so i was thinking of trading it in for an epifani ul502 and a ul 115 and ul 112 or getting another head(?) and an accugroove el whappo.

but to be honest i am very far from making my mind up and could really do with a bit of help.

if it is any help i am using the aggie with a gs 115 and a gs 410.

and am looking for a fusion/jazz tone as my main but i need to be able to do rock and pop tones as well.

so any suggestions?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    if you have the money, the epifani setup is a sweet one.

but have you tried aguilar's AG500? not too shabby with a pair of GS1112's for getting that aguilar sound.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Thunderfunk 550 highly recommended. Very small and light, very loud into 4ohms, tons of EQ that you typically don't even need, and a very solid, punchy tone.

I've never had the pleasure of playing out of the 502, but many posts talk about a somewhat 'hi fi' voicing to that head, which would really be in the opposite direction of the 750.

Finally, if cash is tight, the EdenWT550 will get you very close to the TF for a couple hundred less if you search around.... similar volume... a little more tubey sounding front end, but lines up pretty close. I prefer the TF and think the build quality alone is worth the extra $200 or so.

4. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    anybody else?

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Even though I would kill for that Aggie head of your:p , I think you're on the right track.

I recently played through the Epifani 502 and UL310 cab, and wow!!! It was probably the smoothest, most defined rig i've heard. I honestly thought to myself that if I was a "jazz guy", i'd be all over this thing.:bassist:

The Bergies and Accugroove's also have a wonderful reputation for the sound you're describing, however i've never played either:crying:
    I own a Berg 425(the previous statement doesn't make much sense does it?) and it's been my favorite cab i've ever used, but in your situation, i'd probably suggest trying the HT line of cabs.

Just a question. Doesn't the Thunderfunk have reputation for sounding similar to the DB750?

6. The day I can say "gonna trade in my aggie but for what?" is the day I relise I should probably just donate it to some player whose gas is reaching dangerous levels.

If you are going for less weight I have no suggestions. Except hire a roadie and buy tube.

:bassist: