1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gonna try flats, but want to go cheap for now.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bumperbass, Mar 7, 2013.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I've spent entirely too much time on TB going back and forth deciding on a set of flats, then not being able to pull the trigger. Sadowsky Black Label Flats are what I think I want, but I don't want to put $42 into an experiment. I was thinking of going with GHS Precision Flats as a first set, because they are half the price. Would these be close? I've read that the Pressurewounds sound more like rounds than flats, and I don't like the idea of the GHS Brite Flats (round, then ground flat, like a half-round in my mind).
    What would you do?
    Spend the $ for Sadowskys because they're worth it?
    Go with the GHS PFlats (on sale even!)
    Just buy Chromes?
    Help me with my commitment issues, please! I'm driving myself crazy.
    I play a PBass 4 stringer, currently and forever have used D'addario XL165's (45-105).
    Thanks for any and all opinions.

2. Liam76

Liam76

Dec 28, 2012
    I bought the Fender stainless flats to experiment for about $25. They had a lot of tension, and took a lot of cranking on the trussrod to tame them, but I dug the sound, tons of thump!

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    depending on what sound you want, going cheap to chromes or ghs is not at all a bad choice.
    chromes are more brighter a flat but do mellow out nicely after a few weeks to month of playing.
    whereas the ghs are darker sounding and very smooth.
    one thing ive learned is....
    if you have the choice to choose what you want, dont let money get in the way when its not that much.

4. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Thanks. I was also looking at the Fender 9050's myself. I read they have some brightness to them. What gauge did you buy? I don't want high tension either. If I was buying Chromes, I'd go 45-100.

5. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    GHS Precision.

Just put a set on my Precision. They feel a bit odd for a day or two but then it gets addictive. Tone is pure old school p bass and middle frequencies that cut thru the mix very nicely.

6. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Thanks, greggster! If I don't get any better ideas, I'm ordering these before I go to bed.

7. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    remember too that if your a first time user, flats need a long period of break in time. dont judge them right away.

8. Troph

Troph

Apr 14, 2011
    Kirkland, WA
    Every P-bass owner deserves to try GHS Precision Flats. It's one of those "all-time-great" string/bass matches, IMO.

Great thump, amazing smooth playability, and action nearly as low as your neck can accommodate. The fact that they're reasonably priced too is just a bonus.

Also, I like the fact that they don't try to behave like rounds. If you don't like them, you don't like flats.

I keep a set on one of my P-basses to complement my J-basses, which all happen to have rounds right now.

9. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    The ONLY references I currently have with flats is a set of LaBella Beatle Bass flats on a Hofner copy, and they get the job done. I had a set of Chromes on a Yamaha bass that I no longer play. I took them off of the Yamaha and was going to put them on my P. I forgot about one thing...the inline tuning machines on my P means the G and D are too short. So I'm thinking of giving the GHS P's a shot. I never did give the Chromes a fair shake. This time, I want to go for a real flat, but at $42 for Sadowsky's....well. I've read the same thing on other posts...a P Bass + GHS P flats = match point.

10. I can recommend the GHS Pre flats, cheap though they are. Smooth-feeling and very toneful (is that a word?).

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Buy whatever you're interested in and if you don't like them, sell them here. If you're putting them on a Fender then they'll probably be able to fit any potential buyers bass.

12. i recommend fender flats. they have a nice crisp sound to them and still a lot of thump. time is needed for them to break in though. but for 20$ it's a steal.

13. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I went for the Sadowsky Black Label Flats. Yeah, they were $40+ but they'll be on this bass until I pass away or get alzheimer's disease, so I spent the extra $20 or so. Thanks for the comments.

14. sanderic

sanderic

Jun 3, 2011
    I had the same reservations, wanting to try flats, but being scared off by the $49 price tag at GC on the only set they had, Labella, I mean, what if I didn't like them? Lots of money to drop on an experiment. Went to another store and found a set of Chromes, the only set they had, for $29. Went home and put them on my AmStan Precision. OMG, the only bass I want to play now. I even went out in the garage to hook up my old 371. Now considering a set on my old 4001 to preserve what little fret life I have left, although ill continue to use Roto 66 stainless on my Jazz.