1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good 1/4" - 1/8" mono cable

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by raymondl3, Sep 22, 2010.

1. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    Looking for a good 1/4" - 1/8" mono (about 6 feet long) cable to go between my mic preamp (that I'm using for bass) and my sound card. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    Got one of those.
    Think that would be as good as a gold plated hardwired cable?

3. Yes it would be as good, to all intents and purposes. Connector quality is more about longevity than sound, and at that price its a simple issue, if it breaks just buy another!

The extra jack-to-socket connection will have such a minute effect on the sound that you'd be hard pressed to hear the difference even on a great system with top notch pres and ad's, I'd look at that aspect first before worrying about the difference between cables!

4. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    the thing i don't like adaptors it that they then balance the weight of a cable on a very small plug. I don't like using them.

1/8" to 1/4" on the other hand...

5. True, but you can always set up a brace, that can help unnecessary stress on the socket.

But failing that any 1/4" to 1/8" cable will do, unless you are using pristine converters, and even then it doesn't usually bother me to use a cheap cable!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021