Good 10 inch cabinet match for GK 400RB?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by foose4string, Feb 17, 2006.

1. foose4string

Feb 4, 2006
    I have a GK 400RB I bought second hand about 15 years ago. I have used two different cabs with it in the past. One was a Randall 215 and the other was an Ampeg 410. Unfortunately, I no longer own the ampeg cab(traded for Trace Concert TA100R acoustic amp several years ago ), but for some stupid reason still have the 215. Obviously the Randall cab is fairly low quality and is muddier than heck and maybe even to much for this 200w(4ohm) head to handle. The ampeg cab sounded just ok, not bad mind you. I know this head is capable of more than I got out of it. I am wondering if I should use the Randall enclosure, scrap one of the 15's, partition the cab and add a 10" or two to the box? Or maybe convert the whole thing to a 3 x 10" or 2 x 12" ....all wired 4 ohm?

I am really trying to get away with not spending much on amplification since I basically have some(meager as it may be), so I can afford a to get a decent bass.

Am I better of just getting a new cab? If so, what is a good match(low cost) enclosure for the 400RB?
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I think its risky investment unless you have alot of experience building cabs. and have money to burn... you need the right amount of SPACE, PORTS, CROSSOVERS and right SPEAKER choice to get good results. How much CAN you spend on cabinets??

check this out if you want to buy new...Avatar Cabs $325 for 212 and up. about $350 for a 410 DELIVERED!!!
  3. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I used a Peavey 210TX cab for years with my 400RB ...quite successfully, I'll add. :cool: