1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good 100-150w amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fetfet, Oct 5, 2008.

1. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I need an amp that is loud enough to practice with a drummer, and so far have no ideas.

I need a few suggestions, and right now sound quality is less important, becuase if I find a few loud amps, i'll choose the one i'd like the most.

The amp has to reasonablt compact, as it needs to be transported by my weakling self. Looking at a budget of $300-500. The brands available at my local shop are:

• Roland
    • Hartke
    • Ampeg
    • SWR
    • Peavey
    • Marshall
    • Trace Elliot
    • Fender

If you know any alright amps among these, let me know.

Thank you anyone who posts.

2. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    Buy an old GK 400RB off ebay or local if you find one. They put out 120 or so watts at 8 ohm and 200 at 4 ohm. It is way louder than those ratings though. Expect to pay up to $250 depending on condition. IMHO - Nothing better at that price. I've been gigging mine since '87 and I just bought another super clean '84 for $200.

OTOH, if the top end of your budget is $500 you can buy a used 800RB, 700RB-II or new MB2-500 and be set for the rest of your career:hyper:

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Used Yorkville xm200 (~$250) or Fender Bassman 150 (~$225). I have both....one for the rehearsal space, one for my bedroom.

Riis

4. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I'm the most reluctant about Yorkville and Fender, as i've used their amps before, and the sounds i got from them were very flat, even with EQ tweaking.

I like GK, but my local store doesn't offer them.

I was looking at getting the Backline 600 and a cab, but cannot decide which cab.

Also Considering the Peavey Tour 450 and Cab

5. Well, there's a used SWR Bass 350 out there FS in the Classifieds. I had one for a while and loved mine. And they'll do 2 ohms, so great to go with a couple of cabs, even if one/both are 4 ohms.

No commercial interest, just a fan of that particular amp.

Other choices for my money would echo the GK comments.

dcr

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Found on Ontario Craigslist in perfect condition: Peavey Tour Series 700 Bass amp head - $420

7. Jactap

Jactap

Aug 4, 2006
    Bremerton, Wa
    I would suggest the Hartke Kickback 15. I've been using one at my school every day (except for most weekends) for the past 3 years. Its loud enough, reliable, and it sounds good (better than my Behringer combo but not as good as my Ashdown). Its about $500. Its not Too heavy (about 45 lbs.) but the trapezoidal shape makes it a bit awkward to carry over long distances.

8. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    cool!

I'll check that out, but i'm still unsure of which cab to get.

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Ampeg B100R.

Loud for a 100 watt amp.

Deep, solid, Ampeg tone. ( sounds very much like a tube amp)

Works well with pedals.

10. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Thi9s would be my first choice, except for the portability thing, namely that amp is 60lbs. Also, in my local shop, that amp is $649.99

11. drjdegan

drjdegan

Sep 15, 2008
    I bought a MINT peavey max 160 for only $170,. and picked up a Peavey 210TVX $250; total = $420. the TVX is a 4 ohm cabinet and it runs a very loud 160 watts.

I put it up against my Bag end s15-D, but at the wattage i am running, I don't hear much of a difference.

I am down sizing all my gear, If I am running over 160 watts I am probably damaging :eyebrow:.

here is the photo shoot:

http://www.drjdegan.com/music/peavey.jpg

it is pretty cool looking.
    the cabinet is heavy 64lbs - but sounds deep like a 15

12. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I'm really angling for a combo, mainly because of ease of transport.

13. drjdegan

drjdegan

Sep 15, 2008
    Well,
    I always found the mass of the cabinet having alot to do with the sound. I had a 15 in a scoop that had butt crawling bass to die for (to big to move around sensibly though).

If you compare an 80lb combo; to transport 2 pieces that add up to 80lbs, it may be a wash.

besides, if you get a head/cab combination upgrading parts is easier, and you can keep your old pieces as backup.
    just a thought!

14. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    That's true, but i'm looking for something that I can use to audition a guitarist and drummer, and then with P.A. support, play small clubs.

15. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I'm going to check out the Fender Bassman, which is looking better every minute.