Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good 100+W Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassdog2.1, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Bassdog2.1

Bassdog2.1

Mar 23, 2001
    N.J
    I Would classify myself as an intemedite bass player and need a little more power. I am playing a Fender P-bass with a 15 W amp. When me and my band have practice I can barely hear myself. I am looking forward to playing the talent show and evetually gigs so I am taking a big step now so I am prepared. I was looking at the Peavey TNT 115 or the Crate BX100. Please tell me what you think or if you have other suggestions. Also I have about $450 to spend so im looking in that range.

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I dont care much for Peavey or Crate, but you may love them. What I dont like about them is the sound. I used to have a Fender BXR 100 combo and thought it served quite well, its 100 watts run into a 15' speaker, has a 7 band graphic, hi/lo shelving and some other funtions that i cant quite remember, ( a midrange notch filter i think) but what I liked most about it besides the 7 band eq was the line out feature, I was able to run directly into a pa and this came in quite handy when we played gigs. Id recomend that any combo you buy regardless of brand should have that feature, as it WILL without a doubt come in quite handy when you and your band play gigs.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The Ampeg BA-115 and Carvin PB200-15 are options to consider. I have not played any of the amps mentioned, so I can't comment on them.

Welcome to TalkBass! :)

4. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    Wow, this was my life story about 10 months ago. Except I was flat broke. Luckily, my school had an older Peavey amp (pretty small, too) and it was awesome. I am currently trying to figure out what that was and how many watts. But it was definitely enough to play with the guitarist and drummer in the Cafeteria at my school.
    I was never in need of a new amp to replace my 15W cause my band broke up. But, as I am now getting a new band together, I'm back in the same boat as you(and I got some $$$ too! :D ). I have some some friends who are in a local punk band and their bassists sound is great. I found out after a gig it was an SWR Workingmans 12. I got to play it a little one day (with my own bass) and that amp ruled! Its 100W and around your price range (give or take, of course). I'm definitely going to my local bass store and checking out every amp I can, but I'm already biased toward the SWR. There are all kinds of reviews on this amp and the amps you were talking about on the internet, so check some of those out.

Later