good 1st bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ffezz, Feb 3, 2006.

1. ffezz

Feb 3, 2006
    i have rescently been looking to buy a bass and have my eye on an Epiphone EB-0 or maybe some squire.
    i've only played bass once before about 4 months ago but i have played piano for 11 years and have a reasonable knowledge of plaing guitar, can read tabs and such.
    my spending limit is 250 canadian as i am poor student.
    would you consider that epiphone a good 1st bass???
    btw that 250 is all for guitar, as i already have a 150 watt amp :)
  2. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    What's awesome is that beginner's gear now is worlds better than it was 10 years ago when I and others were starting out.

I recommend the Yamaha RBX170 as a starter bass. Yamaha is always a quality product and I have yet to play a Yamaha bass I didn't like.

The Ibanez GSR200 is also a great starter bass. Helluva lot better than the Ibby I started out on.

ESP's LTD B50 is another choice. They're a pretty underrated company who put out a quality bass.

SX come highly recommended by people here, because though they're cheap, they are great quality for the price.

And if you're not averse to buying used, then you may be able to snag some nice deals on slightly higher end basses.

Just be sure to get a professional set-up done once you get your bass. A good setup can make a world of difference and can often make a cheapie play/sound like a gem.
  3. ffezz

Feb 3, 2006
    im gona go look around at the pawn shops
    do you people think i could get a fretless and learn on that?
    i think il have a problem hitting the right stop being such a newb and all...
  4. All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Washburn XB102 my one and only bass and I love it. Hasn't caused me any problems.

Really nice four stinger for about $180(USD)
  5. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Have to second the GSR200. I have one for sale in the classified section. Feel free to PM me with any questions. :)