1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good 2-chord vamp???

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by nathanmcnathan, Sep 5, 2008.

1. nathanmcnathan

nathanmcnathan Banned

Jan 25, 2008
    Barrie, Ontario
    Hey everybody! I'm going to be working with a friend of mine in music production class soon to record some original music. It's going to most likely be just vocals and fretless bass. She's working on some lyrics, but I need a simple, nice-sounding, but interesting 2 chord vamp to play throughout. Something that's simple enough for a pop listener to grab on to, and interesting enough that I'll be able to do something different with it, to get all us jazzholes interested. Any ideas?
    Thanks!

2. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Personally, I would let the lyrics your vocalist writes inspire your compositional process, rather than beg for ideas from theory heads on a bass website.

I can tell you that a F7 to Gb7 vamp sounds great in a bossa nova, but what does that have to do with your vibe of your song? Use your ears and your heart on this one.

Matt

3. nathanmcnathan

nathanmcnathan Banned

Jan 25, 2008
    Barrie, Ontario
    I'm kind of gravitating towards that, but I want to have some ideas in mind to help contribute to the creative process - something I'll do will give her ideas, and vice versa.

4. Not sure what key you will end up in, But I would suggest a 6m to a 4 or even a 7.