Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good 2 to 4 Channel Mixer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by karter2000, Aug 31, 2005.

1. karter2000

karter2000 Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Hello,

I'm in the process of building a system to split my clean and distorted signals. Initially I am only going to use one amp, so I'm planning on splitting my bass signal somehow (one clean, the other to the distortion), then mixing the two before they reach the amp. My question is, does anyone make a simple 2-4 channel mixer (just volume control) that can do this? Is it best to have a passive one or active?

Thanks,

Lyle

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    A Raven Labs MDB-1 (discontinued, you'd have to track one down used) would certainly do the trick... or maybe a simple Loooper w/passive blend knob that allows you to dial in the distorted sound with the clean, unaffected sound. Never having tried this, can't comment on how the two methods compare in sound, but both would be worth a shot.

3. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

Well its an 8 channel but.....

http://www.behringer.com/RX1602/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I'm thinking of picking one up myself because I also like separating and mixing my clean tone and effects tone. I just run my basses into an A/B box, then A out to my clean channel, and B out through my effects and into my effects channel, and then mix them into my amp. I'm using a Carvin Studiomate mixer right now but I don't like using a mixer with pre-amps to mix my tones, because I think it colors those tones too much.

4. so even with the pots set to zero, they still colour your sound?

hm. never thought about that much

5. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
  6. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    I'm using this one http://www.behringer.com/MX882/index.cfm?lang=ENG to mix clean/distortion balance of my SVT-2pro and Marshall JMP-1.

Few channels too many but I wanted a rackmountable mixer.

It doesn't color my sound because it's a line (no eq) mixer. I tweak the balance with the distortion channel and set the overall volume from SVT-2pro.

I have it hooked up like this (thanks Jerrold)...

-SVT "tuner" output to your JMP-1 input
    -"effect send" to one channel of the mixer, and the output of the JMP-1 to another channel.
    -output of mixer to SVTs "effect return" and Line out to "post".

This way, the master on the SVT2PRO will control the overall volume level, and the mixer will control the mix. The Line Out will have the mixed signal on it, same as the speakers.

If I want no distortion from the JMP-1 the I just use MIDI pedal to activate bank with no volume.

7. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    If you only want two channels you could use a boss ls2 line switcher. The gain pots work on the loop returns.

8. karter2000

Aug 21, 2005
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Thanks to everyone for their replies!

Lyle

9. karter2000

Aug 21, 2005
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Hi all,

Just a follow-up post. I found a passive, mini 4-channel mixer at my local Long and Mcquade. It is made by a company called Apex Electronics (owned by Yorkville) and the catalog number is AMM41 for anyone that is interested.

I tried it the other night with my Russian Big Muff. I split the signal at my bass with a Y-cable, then one directly into the mixer and the other into the Muff. So far, I'm pretty happy with the results. With some adjustment of the mixer volumes and the Muff volume, you can get a nice mix. Eventually, I'm going to put my Boss Bass EQ on the clean side and try splitting the frequencies, ie distort the highs, boost the lows or cut the highs on the clean side.

A word of caution, because it's a passive mixer made for high impedance signals, you will lose some signal on the clean side that is directly connected to the bass (on a Geddy, anyways). Some of you probably already knew that. That's not a huge problem for me, as I was going to use the Boss EQ on the clean anyway. I am also going to contect both outputs of my Bass Synth Wah to the other channels of the mixer to get a wet/dry mix.

Lyle

10. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    [​IMG]

Set to A+B
    Have OD/Dist. looped on the A channel.
    Leave B channel empty (uneffected signal will be here)
    Mix Levels as desired.

Try it out at the local music store.