Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good 2d Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bdengler, Oct 30, 2004.

1. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Any recommendations on a good laminated bass? I have an English, carved bass that I've set up for orchestral use. I'd like to get a laminated bass that I can use at church and put pick ups on it. I was thinking of a Shen. Is that a good choice or does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    New Standard; though mine's a hybrid, the lams have gotten some great chat here.

3. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Marcus, do you mean the "American Standard?" I thought they stopped making basses years ago and stuck with making toilets!

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    www.newstandardbass.com

This one, built by our own Arnold Schnitzer. Durrl has one as well. Yummy bass.

In answer to your original question, though, the Shens are apparently really nice too. I haven't played one.

5. Dengler...just so you know, in case you're not aware, Durrl is our pet name for one of our moderators/bassists/ and pianist to boot.....Chris Fitzgerald.
    I was impressed when checking your profile to see that you play a 1760 Testore, but you mention an English bass in your post. Which is it> One, the other, or both?

6. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Actually, I sold the Testore last year to a member of the Cincinnati. As an amateur (and a lawyer who now works at a downtown office), I was afraid to take the instrument around. So, I sold it, bought a new Paul Bryant bass made in Hastings, UK. I felt the newer instrument would be more forgiving in climate changes and, costing significantly less, I would not be as afraid to use it!

BTW, thanks for the info on the New Standard.

:)

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You should hook up with TB's own Nick Lloyd. He's in Cincy. He does Shens and has been known to have a Standard lying around now and again as well.

FWIW, I am very happy with my Shen 180.

8. Hi ! I have an UptonBass laminated and it is really great, I highly recommand it. I have played on a few basses, and this one is the very best my fingers caressed ! Give call to Gary Upton or go take a look at uptonbass.com. Put on a BassMax or Gary's revolution pickup and you'll be very well equiped.