good 2x15 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by srbguitar, Apr 28, 2003.

1. srbguitar

srbguitar Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Fremont CA
    I'm currently looking for a good 2x15 cabinet to replace the yellow-belly X-Audio 215 i have now(it doesn't have enough guts) also the x-audio is not very efficient at all and i need something more efficient.

i've done a lot of research of different brands. but i wanted to check here to see if any of you TBers had any experience with any of these cabs

the list i came up with were:
    Eden D-215 XL-it's the same cab as the xlt but with out the tweeter(which i don't need because i am biamping)
    Yamaha SW 215 IV-More in my price range
    2 Avatar 115-is the Frequency response as good at the low end

i also thought of the SWR but it is way to expensive for me

if you have any others to add to this list and/or any experience with any of these cabs please help
    thank you
  2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Look for an older Mesa Boogie RoadReady 2x15", you won't be sorry.
  3. srbguitar

srbguitar Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Fremont CA
    is the peavy 2x15 an efficient cab.

Any other information on this cab would be nice to
  4. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i second the road ready mesa boogie. i find them used for $300-400 on a regular basis. never tried the peavey, i'm sure they're okay but you'd be hard pressed to find a cab as loud, punchy, or as loud as the road ready 2x15 by mesa. the older diesel 2x15's aren't bad either but the road ready is much better and worth the extra money.
  5. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Personally, I would get 2 Bag End 15" cabs and save my back the wear and tear.
  6. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Ive never played one, but Fender makes a bassman 215 cabinet. I think its similar to the old sunn cabs.
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Mesa Boogie 2x15 (in either Diesel or RR form) is truly a great cab. Very punchy and articulate, while at the same time capable of leveling small buildings. That'd be my vote. Very cost effective, too.

8. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    SWR Big Bertha is a mighty 215 cab with great tone.
  9. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I'm too old to recommend a 215 cab so I'll second the vote for a pair of 115 cabs. Smaller venue will let you get by with one. I use a pair of 112 cabs(30-35lbs ea.), my back loves me for it.
  10. srbguitar

srbguitar Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Fremont CA
    Where are some other sites that i can find used gear on besides Ebay.

I've already checked ebay for the mesa boogie and all i found was an old Peavy 2x15 for 100.00!!
    i whanted to see if anyone here had any experience with it before i make any decissions.
  11. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I agree.

The bottom out of that cab is killer.

13. Tech Soundsystems ND-215-DC
  14. I have an older Fender Bassman 215 as well as an old Sunn 215 and the two cabs are not at all similar. The Fender is lighter, but thinner plywood without as much bracing, and is bottom shelf ported. The Sunn is heavily braced and is side ported. I loaded the Sunn with two JBL 2226's and it sounds great. The Fender, with stock speakers, is OK but not great, and I doubt better speakers would do much for the Fender.

I also have an old Kustom 215 and I think the Sunn is the best of the three, the Kustom second and the Fender third.
  15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    This is a PA subwoofer! I don't think you would be too happy with this unless all you play is dub reggae :p
  16. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    The peavey cabinet is great, I have used one since
    1988. It has the Scorpion speakers, they also had
    a option of Black Widow speakers. It is no longer in production, but you may be able to find a used one.
    It came with casters also. It is retired now and stay's at home in the music room, with the original peavey Mark 6 head. It still sounds great. Now that i am older I dont like moving the heavy gear around anymore. So i replaced it with a Swr workingman's 15.:)
  17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    2 x Bag End S15B-D would be my vote (these are big muthers, though--sound that way, too).
  18. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Epifani ultralite 215. Yeah bucks but, light enough plenty of volume and bottom end, nice horn in there.