Good 2x15 for SWR workingman's 4004

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RedGrange, Mar 24, 2001.

1. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I got a used SWR Workingman's 4004. The problem is I love 2x15 cabinets, I'm not a major fan of 10's.... (I don't want to bring my good amps on the road... back to the van we go!).... I was thinking a Sun 2x15, but it only can handle 300W @ 4ohms... and the 4004 drops 400W at 4ohms... any suggestions... I don't want to break the bank again

2. have you looked at swrs big bertha? yeah it is a fair amount, but you could try going used (which I don't always recommend) it handles 700W at 4 ohms.

pushing 2 15's properly may require more power but it will still work.

SWR recommends a head with around 500-700 W with the 2x15 set up

for instance in the manual for the WM 2004 Head, they say you can use big bertha with it. And thats only a 200W head. however it is not under the optimum performance section.

i personally would go with a triad, 1x10, 1x15 and 1 tweeter. If you like having a bigger speaker.

3. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I have 2 bigbertha's ... my normal rig is ADA and alembic preamps, through a QSC power amp driving 2 big bertha's and a 2x10.... but I'm going on tour with my other band... (basement shows!!) and I don't want to take the good stuff.... I'm thinking Sun, peavy, crate, or a no name brand

4. Didn't you get the "good stuff" to play shows with it?