Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good 2x15 for SWR workingman's 4004

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RedGrange, Mar 24, 2001.

1. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I got a used SWR Workingman's 4004. The problem is I love 2x15 cabinets, I'm not a major fan of 10's.... (I don't want to bring my good amps on the road... back to the van we go!).... I was thinking a Sun 2x15, but it only can handle 300W @ 4ohms... and the 4004 drops 400W at 4ohms... any suggestions... I don't want to break the bank again

2. have you looked at swrs big bertha? yeah it is a fair amount, but you could try going used (which I don't always recommend) it handles 700W at 4 ohms.

pushing 2 15's properly may require more power but it will still work.

SWR recommends a head with around 500-700 W with the 2x15 set up

for instance in the manual for the WM 2004 Head, they say you can use big bertha with it. And thats only a 200W head. however it is not under the optimum performance section.

i personally would go with a triad, 1x10, 1x15 and 1 tweeter. If you like having a bigger speaker.

3. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I have 2 bigbertha's ... my normal rig is ADA and alembic preamps, through a QSC power amp driving 2 big bertha's and a 2x10.... but I'm going on tour with my other band... (basement shows!!) and I don't want to take the good stuff.... I'm thinking Sun, peavy, crate, or a no name brand

4. Didn't you get the "good stuff" to play shows with it?