1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good 4-string 35" scale for drop-D?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mara, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    I'm looking for a cool looking 4-string 35" scale that handles well drop-D for about 1000$/€. Any ideas?

I quite like the look and feel of ESP-LTD MD-500 Marcelo Dias. This is ofcourse the LTD-version but it can be easily pumped wit a set of proper mics. No?

-M

2. Ibanez BTB
    from 400 series right up 1000.. theyre all 35" from 4 to 6 string and are top notch for what you pay.

3. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    that funny, we i saw the subject i immedatly thought btb, heh. i saw what the last guy wrote and it was recomending a btb. great minds think alike. i recomend the btb because i think it was made with down tuning in mind. so the string arnt tereabely (sp) floppy like a lot of bass' i've seen including my warwick thumb, not made for a de-tune.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    What you need is a Peavey USA Millennium Four Deluxe model that comes with a D-tuner. I had one for a while until I traded for a Millennium five. These turn up on ebay alot and you can still find them in stores as new old stock. I also hear Peavey is about to rerelease this model also. If you are interested, I can put you in touch with the dealer that has my old Millennium. This is a great bass if you like thin Jazz style necks. The bass has a sound similar to a Lakland 94-44 or 44-02 and they also come with graphite reinforced necks. These are really top grade instruments that can be had for a very reasonable price.

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I don't think you would be disappointed with the ESP. In my experience, they can handle a wide range of styles and tunings beautifully. The Marcello Dias looks sweet and the combination of the EMG's and the 35" scale should fit your bill. Right now, I play an ESP LTD C-304 with the longer scale and EMG's and couldn't be happier. These basses are seriously overlooked and under-rated in my opinion. Many cost far less than "boutique" basses with similar features, and many can be found as "B-stock items" as well, for even more savings. Good luck with your search.

6. Peavey Cirrus!