Good 4-string 35" scale for drop-D?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mara, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    I'm looking for a cool looking 4-string 35" scale that handles well drop-D for about 1000$/€. Any ideas?

I quite like the look and feel of ESP-LTD MD-500 Marcelo Dias. This is ofcourse the LTD-version but it can be easily pumped wit a set of proper mics. No?

2. Ibanez BTB
    from 400 series right up 1000.. theyre all 35" from 4 to 6 string and are top notch for what you pay.
  3. bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    that funny, we i saw the subject i immedatly thought btb, heh. i saw what the last guy wrote and it was recomending a btb. great minds think alike. i recomend the btb because i think it was made with down tuning in mind. so the string arnt tereabely (sp) floppy like a lot of bass' i've seen including my warwick thumb, not made for a de-tune.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    What you need is a Peavey USA Millennium Four Deluxe model that comes with a D-tuner. I had one for a while until I traded for a Millennium five. These turn up on ebay alot and you can still find them in stores as new old stock. I also hear Peavey is about to rerelease this model also. If you are interested, I can put you in touch with the dealer that has my old Millennium. This is a great bass if you like thin Jazz style necks. The bass has a sound similar to a Lakland 94-44 or 44-02 and they also come with graphite reinforced necks. These are really top grade instruments that can be had for a very reasonable price.
  5. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I don't think you would be disappointed with the ESP. In my experience, they can handle a wide range of styles and tunings beautifully. The Marcello Dias looks sweet and the combination of the EMG's and the 35" scale should fit your bill. Right now, I play an ESP LTD C-304 with the longer scale and EMG's and couldn't be happier. These basses are seriously overlooked and under-rated in my opinion. Many cost far less than "boutique" basses with similar features, and many can be found as "B-stock items" as well, for even more savings. Good luck with your search.