Good 4-string around $500 new or used

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jarrett, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Jarrett

Jan 19, 2004
    Waxahachie, Tx
    Hi, I'm a regular over at that Gear Page, but new to this forum.

I need to get a 4-string bass to play for a new gig. I'm used to old Ken Smiths and Warwicks, but I don't want to spend that much this time around.

What's a good used bang for buck piece these days? I was thinking Carvin, but are there others out there now that are worth a look? I was thinking like $400-500 used. Could go a little higher if need be.

Preferably something light with the strings close to the body also. Thanks.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Reverend Rumblefish--you can pick up used 'fish's for around 400-450 on ebay. do a search here and you'll find alot of guys love them--if you dig the retro looks.
  4. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I have seen Washburn XB900 basses on ebay recently for between $400.00 and $500.00. They are made in USA and have Basslines three band preamp and a Basslines MM humbucker. Very nice bass for the money. You can also get a new G&L Legacy L2000 for about the same amount of money. You might even be able to find an Ernie Ball SUB out there for around $500.00. There is good stuff out there for not alot of $$$.
  5. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    Just today Carol Kaye endorsed the Ibanez SRX500 and I believe it falls in that price range.

I would say she knows basses.