Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good 4 string punk bass, 400-500$?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CTD, Aug 6, 2001.

1. CTD

CTD

Aug 6, 2001
    I'd like to get a new bass for my birthday. I'm fairly new to bass playing and wonder what a good bass for punk music would be in the 400-500 dollar price range.

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    A. Go to the music store.
    B. Play everything their in your price range.
    C. Decide which one you like the best that you are comfortable playing.

3. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    1.) Ibanez ATK
    Try to find a used one - I could get you one for around $400 + Shipping from Germany to your country
    2.) Fender P-Bass
    Go Made in Mexico
    3.) Fender Mark Hoppus Signature
    It´s coming soon---

David

4. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    If you want to sound like most other pop-punk bands today, get a P Bass.

5. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    ofcourse portrait of tracy was right.. but pay some extra attention to the fender p-bass .. and if you're lucky, you might find a used stingray that cheap, maybe.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    the cheap stingrays should come out soon.

7. Fatboy_Jim

Fatboy_Jim

Oct 25, 2000
    Really? When? how cheap? made where? Sorry for all the questions but this is completely new to me and possibly quite handy.
    Seeya
    Dermot

8. madsky

madsky

Apr 21, 2001
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Get Secondhand Stingrays ^^ Cheap ... can be up to 400 dollars cheaper than the new onez... well i prefer 1st hand stuff... ^^ stingray around 600-1500$$ ... 1500 being new and ripped off ^^' ... well good luck on finding ur bass ...

i will go buy either B.C. Rich / Pushic Custom / ESP LTD / StingRay/ or Sterling soon ... ^^ still deciding

[www.harmonycentral.com to find reviewz]

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Fender P-Bass or G&L SB-1 (or SB-2)

10. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    real punkers play stingrays!!!

11. I say go with a P bass but if you can find a mm Stingray for cheap get it.

12. MTD kingston...

13. Actually, real punks don't care which bass is played.

Seriously though, I think the StingRay has the best sound for punk music. But the $400-$500 choice would certainly be the P-Bass. It's simple, solid, and get's the job done. A P-bass Special is also cool because it has a bite to it. But the fat, low-end of the precision is perfect for what you want.