1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good 4x10 cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ukbassboy, Mar 21, 2006.

1. ukbassboy

ukbassboy

Mar 19, 2006
    UK
    Hi folks,
    Just in the process of buying a new rig to replace my 12" combo so thought I would get your thoughts before shelling out the cash.
    Here's the deal... I play a 5 string in a 4 piece rock covers band and we will soon be playing a few gigs in small-medium pubs, parties etc so I need a bit more noise. I will probably get either the GK 1001 or 700RB and from my research so far an 8ohm 4x10 looks like it will do the job best.
    At this stage I'm considering:
    Peavey 410TX - @ £230 its cheap but very heavy!
    Warwick WCA411 Pro £319
    Ashdown ABM410T £369
    GK 410SBX. £389

I know its best to listen to them first but unfortunately this wont be possible so any thoughts or other reccomendations are greatly appreciated (cab budget max £400).
    Cheers

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    If you go peavey, try to find a Peavey 4X10 TVX or TXF instead of the TX. The TX is a good cab but the newer ones have more pronounced mids, a common complaint on the TX. It definately has all the bottom end you could ever want, though.

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Only issue with the TVX is MAN what a heavy cab!!! I had one for a short time and it was a b!tch to haul...

4. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Not 100% sure on the price (might be a bit much)

Have a look at the David Eden stuff, specifically their 410XST and their 410XLT cabs.

5. Are you refering to the TX or the TVX or both?

6. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    GK seems good. I have never used their stuff but a lot of bassists get some good tone out of their 8x10 cabinets.

Ashdown would be my second choice.

7. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

V5.
    :D

8. AGUILAR GS410 Is a great Rock-N-Roll cab.

9. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The peaveys are actually quite nice. Weight on the TX is simmilar to any other big company 4x10, just boost the mids a little at the amp and you're good. I used those for years and always got good sounds from them.

10. ukbassboy

ukbassboy

Mar 19, 2006
    UK
    Cheers for the help so far guys, I bet you get sick of the repeated questions like these but its a fair bit of cash to shell out.
    It is the Peavey TVX that im looking at which looks great for the price but not sure about the weight and have heard they can be quite hard to drive. Would probably put castors on it anyway.
    The Ashdown looks pretty promising. Bit more expensive but i have heard they sound great and 600w continuous power handling would match the 1001RB perfectly. Just curious though; they advertise only 60Hz min frequency response - I presume this is actually alright for a bottom B (not that I actually use it that much!).

p.s. unfortunately the David Edens are about twice the price as anything else and over 3 times the price of a peavey. Look ace though!

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The Peavey 410's are quite decent and abusable. They take quite a lot of power and crank out some pretty clean bass, though they do have a tone all their own and you'd have to play around with the amp settings.

The TX are older, and not quite as good...but the TFX (carpet covered) and the TVX (tolex covered) are the same...and great for the price.

Both use 75 watt Sheffield speakers in them. Which doesn't sound like much...and it's not...not by themselves anyway. The cabs have a total of 300 watts rms. The 4 ohm cabs use 4 ohm speakers and the 8 ohm cabs use 8 ohm speakers, obviously (but note that in case you need to replace them).

The 410TVX weigh 98 lbs. I put wheels on the one I had. It's not too bad lifting up on a stage or in a vehicle...but without wheels, I wouldn't want to be carrying it by myself for any distance.

Peavey lists the cab as handling down to 30Hz....I doubt that...more like 40Hz. I did play a five string through it and it handled the low B pretty well, though not terribly well...depends on the volume.

12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Both have great bottom excursion. I haven't heard anything else in their price range with better bottom end. Definately the best bang for the buck stand-alone 4X10.

13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

The ratting is to the -10 dB point, same as Ampeg ratings if you want to compare. I did side by sides and the peaveys definately had better bottom until you got the the ampeg Pro4X10HLF box (haven't tried the other HLFs, assume they will be close to the PR). I prefered the PR4X10HLF, but the cost was prohibitive.

14. Thanks. A few weeks ago I spent a bit of time in a local music store. This store had a Ampeg SVT350H on a 410he and nearby a Peavey 410TVX. I tried the head with both cabs ( using the stores US Fender P ) and I can say that the 410he sounded like junk compared to the 410TVX. The 410TVX seemed to have a bigger sound with increased clarity. I would have been ashamed to have been heared with the 410he.

15. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I have a TX and a TXF at home. 95% of the difference is the mids response. The TXF sounds a bit more "open" and less compressed, but it's not a huge difference by any means. Both will match my Acoustic 2X15 cab in bottom ends response. :D

16. At present I'm using an SVT1540he ( 15" + 4x10" ) and the bass response from the 410TXF sounded better to my ears. It may not of had all the lows of my cab but with the increaded clarity it was a more useable sound. Almost as if the bass spoke with more authority.

17. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I recently blew out two speakers in my (well used) Peavey 410 TXF, so I needed a new cab.

I tried out a brand new Peavey, because I've used them, and liked them for decades. I tried it out along with a few Ampeg cabs too.

Turned out the Ampeg BSE410HLF was far superior to the Peavey in every way. Brand new, the Peavey was $700 and I picked up a new BSE410HLF for $550.

The Ampeg BSE410HLF handles 100 more watts RMS, has built-in heavy duty casters and though it weighs about the same, it's a little smaller.

Another plus was that Ampeg must be using more efficient speakers as I could keep my amp at half of it's volume setting with the Ampeg cab, to get the same volume I was getting out of the Peavey. (NOTE: I blew out the Peavey only because it was very old, and I really did drive it way too hard at one gig...my fault, not the cab's).

IMO, the Ampeg 410's are a better buy (new). And I'm not slamming Peavey...because I've used them for a long time and I still think they are great!

18. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I tried the 410 TX and my problem with it was the treble! It was extremely harsh, and I had to turn down the treble on my amp EQ and my bass before my ears started to recover....

It sure could handle some bass though, those speakers don't need to move much to make a big bottom end.

19. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    $700? It's been a few years but I got my 4X10 TXF for $425, new. I assume any of the HLF series are gonna rock but was under the impression they cost a lot more. The PR4x10HLF I was looking at was on sale for $999.

20. Can you compare the BSE410HLF to the SVT410he. My local stores only ever seem to carry the 410he. I know Ampeg have a nice range of 4x10's but unfortunatly I'll probably never get a chance to hear one before buying.