1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good 5-string acoustic bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Guitar, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Any recommendations or experiences?

I am leaning towards the 5-string Ovation Celebrity myself, since I have owned one, and liked the tone.

I am mainly looking for unplugged volume. Please don't say the Ernie Ball Earthwood bass (although it would be cool to own one of those).

I seriously considered buying a Bajo Sexto (mexican 12-string like a 12-string guitar but tuned 1 octave lower), but thought I would ask around first.

:)

2. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I beleive Gabu plays a beleive it or not Rogue 305, and he loves it.

3. Hi,

I've got a 5-string Ovation Celebrity Deluxe (multi-soundhole thing). Unplugged volume isn't huge from the player's perspective, I've no idea what it sounds like projecting forward. The B-string in particular doesn't seem to have much in the way of volume unplugged. I've toyed with stringing it EADGC instead (I play 6 string electric). I use TI Acousticore strings - you may get more unplugged volume out of Elixirs (which Tacoma fit as standard) or somesuch. YMMV. I play with an acoustic guitar and occasionally piano and there's enough volume unplugged for that. I do have to dig in a bit more though.

In its defence, I love the way the bass sounds plugged in. With the TI strings and the pre-amp it has a very rich sound. The man-made back gives a bit more poke in the mid-range, so you get a nice combination of warmth and edge. I play in an acoustic-led band so the tone is just right for me. Again, your needs may differ.

I've seen loads of recommendations for the Tacoma's though...