Good 5-string acoustic bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Guitar, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Any recommendations or experiences?

I am leaning towards the 5-string Ovation Celebrity myself, since I have owned one, and liked the tone.

I am mainly looking for unplugged volume. Please don't say the Ernie Ball Earthwood bass (although it would be cool to own one of those).

I seriously considered buying a Bajo Sexto (mexican 12-string like a 12-string guitar but tuned 1 octave lower), but thought I would ask around first.

2. Listen

May 19, 2002
    I beleive Gabu plays a beleive it or not Rogue 305, and he loves it.
  3. Hi,

I've got a 5-string Ovation Celebrity Deluxe (multi-soundhole thing). Unplugged volume isn't huge from the player's perspective, I've no idea what it sounds like projecting forward. The B-string in particular doesn't seem to have much in the way of volume unplugged. I've toyed with stringing it EADGC instead (I play 6 string electric). I use TI Acousticore strings - you may get more unplugged volume out of Elixirs (which Tacoma fit as standard) or somesuch. YMMV. I play with an acoustic guitar and occasionally piano and there's enough volume unplugged for that. I do have to dig in a bit more though.

In its defence, I love the way the bass sounds plugged in. With the TI strings and the pre-amp it has a very rich sound. The man-made back gives a bit more poke in the mid-range, so you get a nice combination of warmth and edge. I play in an acoustic-led band so the tone is just right for me. Again, your needs may differ.

I've seen loads of recommendations for the Tacoma's though...