1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good 5 string active bass for under 1000$?...help veryy appreciated!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I play metal, May 7, 2010.

1. OK guys...I wanna grab a new 5 string to add to my ibanez btb prestige bass.Lovee the btb prestige but I want sometbing a lil quicker in sound.

Im shooting for an active 5 string that has that active, quick fat response kinda sound.

I've kinda narrowed down to the Ibanex sr505(not a fan of the thin neck but meh) and the peavey cirrus 5 string.

Any suggestions for a good 5'er with good low string sustain and oomph,for a 1000$ or under??Yamaha any good for example?

Im Playing through a Genz GBE 1200 and Genz Uber 810 by the way,if that matters.

Muuch thx guys!!

2. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    look. you will find one!

3. Been looking for months brah.

I live were I cant test **** out.

Hence why I ask.

Thx though man.

4. BassAgent

BassAgent Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    Good (Yamaha TRB1005):
    58755_l.
    Better (Yamaha TRB5II):
    CIMG6403.
    Awesome (Yamaha TRB5):
    yamaha005.
    Too expensive (Yamaha TRB5P):
    yamaha_trb5p_gruen.

You can find the first 3 for $1000 or under, I'm sure.

5. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    Carvin LB 75 or BB75

6. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I really like the looks of the TRB5II. Heard one on You Tube and of what I could tell it sounded great. But according to Yamaha's web site, it's been replaced by the TRB1005 model.

7. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Consider an used Peavey Cirrus 5.

A Groove is a Terribel Thing to Waste! :cool:

8. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Human Base Roxy 5 (new or used) or BaseX oc.5 (used).

9. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    Go clean and used and get twice the bass.

I have a 1998/9 Warwick Corvette Standard 5 back when they had the three peice bubinga neck for sale by the way. :)

But in any case - going used and clean is best and if you don't like it you can shed it and not lose $$ for buying something else. Repeat as required until happy.

10. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    My stingray that is for sale in the clasified section :)

11. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    I was about to suggest used Stingray! I love mine to death.

12. +1. I don't play 5ers anymore, but I'll say that if I got one again it would more than likely be a Stingray to replace the one I had. Hellova good bass.

13. BassMaster4s

BassMaster4s

Jul 28, 2008
    Wind Gap, PA
    If you absolutely need to buy new my Sterling Ray 35 does very well, especially for a 34" scale. Although it might not work in the looks department if you play metal, which I assume you do based on the user name...

14. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    G&L Tribute L-2500.

15. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    You can get a new SR505 online for $555 w/free shipping. Use Google Shopping to find it.

If you're willing to buy used, you can find mint, perfect condition Peavey Cirrus 5 or G&L L-2500 (MIA) basses for under $1000, all day long. Or Carvin neck-thru 5'ers (LB75, XB75).

16. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    A used MIA Peavey Cirrus will be far superior to pretty much everything else I've seen suggested here. Definitely WAY better than an Ibanez SR505, not even close. The only other bass I've seen suggested here that I would take a look at are the older, used Yamaha TRBs, they are really nice basses too. I prefer the Cirrus V though.

17. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I have a Cirrus 5 and I got a G&L L-2500 today (for less than I've ever seen a Cirrus 5 going for). Both MIA.

I am really looking forward to seeing how they compare for myself!

18. eekmo

eekmo

Feb 13, 2004
    Sachse, TX
    I looked high and low before deciding on my Cirrus V BXP. The only thing that came close as far as versatility was a $4500 Ken Smith or a Pedulla MVP 5.

The Cirrus active electronics are greatness. Excellent fat booty bass. Excellent jazzy burp. Excellent smiley face slap.

Neck through 35" scale sustains for days.

Warning: try before you buy. I had an Indonesian model before my current Chinese model and I much prefer the MIC. Lighter weight mahogany, much thinner neck.

E.

19. Much thx guys!!

Really appreciate the advice/sugestions.

Kinda leaning towards the yammy TRB1005 at the moment bassed on reveiws as I cant try out much up here at all.

20. Wow, you live up in the sticks. Anyway, I suggest the Cirrus, some of the best basses made PERIOD, the fact that you can buy them for less than $1,000 just adds to their amazingness. Also, a Peavey TL-5 is just about as good as the Cirrus, but more rare. The older Yamahas are also great, but the Cirrus is better.

lowsound