1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good 5-string for < $1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cubeface, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    What are some good 5 string basses that are less than $1000?

I really want to get a 5 string soon, but don't want to spend a lot of money. (I plan on getting a high(er) quality bass when I'm better). :smug:

I was thinking about the Omen-5 made by Schecter. It's around $550

Throw some ideas at me,
    thanks

2. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
  3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I've never played a fender 5er that I liked, just my experience.

- I love my TBC 5er, only cost me around $300.
    - You can find used Warwick 5ers under 1k easily, they have the best Bs I've ever played. But then you get the Warwick neck, which is a love/hate thing.
    - Used Peavey Cirrus, 35" scale, great reviews although I've never played oen. Often pop up on ebay for $600ish.
    - Musicman basses as well, I see them around $800 used frequently. Their 5ers are quite nice, stingray or sterling.

Cheaper:
    - For just learning a 5er, Rondo has a whole page: http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitars5.html
    Their HXB series is 35" scale, I owned one of the 6ers briefly and loved it, but 6 was too many strings. For budget 5er I think that HXB would be hard to beat. Might need new pickups though, I wasn't impressed with that part of the one I had.

Just some options for you. There's a lot out there under 1k, I'd say hit a store and play as many as you can.

4. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    To be perfectly honest. Several good quality 5 stringers are available for under $1000. You may want to narrow your options a little more. Some things to consider like, where it's made U.S.>Japan>Korean, Neck-thru vs. Bolt-on, Passive or Active electronics-or both, Narrow or Wide string spacing, What scale (34", 35", or longer). My yamaha bb605, narrow spaced, 34" scale, active electronic bolt on jazzer is great. The BTB 505, wide spaced, 35" scale active is cool, but I prefer narrow spacing after playing both for a while. You just have to figure out what the actual selling points for you are.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Fernandes APB-100.

I think they're called Gravity 5 now.

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Lakland Skylines...

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    try looking at Carvins....you can find a used one for around $600

8. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    +1

I just got a 55-01 and I love it to death.

9. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    A used Peavey Cirrus, used Warwick, or used European Spector would all be good choices. They're all very different basses, with different advantages and disadvantages, but they're all very well made and can be foun in the $600-$1000 range.

10. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    + 2, especially if you look on the used market. I'll also echo peavey cirri as an option.

11. I agree with the Skyline reccomendations.

Maybe check out the MTD Z5 as well.

12. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    I started playing 5s about a yr ago when I was hired by a guy with 2 cds where the bass parts were on 5 and 6 string basses. I spent a good bit of time researching and settled on the MTD Kingston Heir 5 Active. One of the best basses for under 1000. Well, I quit the guys group and am back to 4 string, on which I am much more at home. My MTD is for sale now. Interested?

13. HoDog

HoDog

Sep 25, 2006
    Sydney
    Ibanez 505? I heard that's one of the best mid range 5 strings

14. stitchbass

stitchbass

May 20, 2006
    Virginia Water
    if you're a fan of the stingray sound then i can recommend a musicman sub 5 for well under a $1000. Could get yourself a couple of effects or something with the change :) It's really a great instrument for the price and if you like the musciman thing and want a new bass then get one of those...

15. Ghost_85

Ghost_85

Jun 20, 2006
    Cambridge UK
    Ken Smith proto Jazz, better than a fender Jazz in my opinion plus it's active and cheaper. Also a 35 inch scale makes the low B a little clearer

16. pbass2go

pbass2go

Dec 19, 2004
    Apple Valley, MN
    +1 on the BTB505.

I have the six string version and I love it. 35" scale sounds much better than the 34" MM I used to have. For well under $1K too.. bonus!!

17. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Check out my review of my Ibanez BTB555 in my signature. I've also got some sound clips of it there as well.

Great sound, versatile preamp, 9.5 lbs, 19mm string spacing (like a 4-string), neck is wide but thin so it's really easy to play and to reach all of the strings.

18. :hyper: A Lakland 55-01 will meet your needs VERY Nicely!

:rollno: This bass reminds of a beautiful woman who can't cook.

19. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I would agree with the Lakland Skyline 55-01 reccomendation, as well. It's a solid bass that sounds good, feels good, and plays well. The only issue that I had with the one that I owned is that the pickups seemed too close togther and there didn't seem to be much of a difference in sound between them. See if you can try one out - it might be just what you're looking for, though.