Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good 5 string? no more than about 700$

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greenantgods, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Greenantgods

Greenantgods

Oct 18, 2004
    can anyone suggest a good five string....? no more than about 700$ preferably. Thanks

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A couple of really good buys are the Lakland Skyline 55-01, and the MTD Kingston and Heir series.

They are in your price range, and very good basses.

What kind of tone are you looking for? Do you prefer narrow string spacing at the bridge, or standard, like most 4 stringers have?

3. ptuckerbass

ptuckerbass

Sep 12, 2000
    Orlando, Fl.
    I really enjoy my Cort Josh Paul. It's based on an Elrick design. Sounds and plays great for a bass in your price range, plus it has a lot of nice features.
    There's a brand new one on Ebay for $599. (listed as a Cort Signature RB5)

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Used Reverend 5L!

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id suggst getting a used bass, ebay if youre comforrtable with it. $700 is a tricky price range, id suggest saving up $200 more somehow and getting a used Musicman Stingray 5. :)

6. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Tribute 5 by G&L
    SUB 5
    Used Fender Deluxe Jazz V
    Used MusicMan (maybe more around $800)
    Lakland Skyline

7. +1

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +2

9. Skyline 55-01

10. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Depends on the sound you are going for, but I recommend the Spector Legend 5. It is 35" scale with EMG-HZ pickups and a 3 band EMP pre. I have seen them on-line for $600. MIK, excellent workmanship and the classic curved NS body. SWEET!

I had to get a five string for the gig I have now and the Legend fits the bill!

11. If you can find one - note my signature!

Regards,
    Mark F. SAnderson

12. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Lakland 55-01
    G&L Tribute
    Cort/Elrick Josh Paul
    Used KSD
    You have several options so it will boil down to what specifically you're looking for soundwise.
    Happy Hunting!!

13. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Lakland 55-01
    G&L Tribute
    MTD Kingston
    KSD
    SUB

so many choices...

14. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    I've got a MTD Kingston 5 active..... Highly recommend it....

You could pick one up for under $500.

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    G&L Tribute all the way.

16. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    If you don't mind waitng a month and then finishing the wood yourself, a Carvin BK5 bass kit would be under your budget.

17. Simball

Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I totally agree. A little more cash will open up way more options.

18. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    There's a Korean Spector NS2000/5 for sale in the classifieds here at TB. I have one I picked up about a year ago and I really dig it. It has the 18 volt mod and Dean Markley medium weight strings and I just love the tone. :)

The guy in the classifieds only wants $350 for thiers which is a good deal.

[edit]
    fixed :spit: :p

19. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    I'm in the same position as you right now. After a lot of research and trips to Guitar Center I have deceided on the Schecter Stiletto Elite 5. I choose it because its neck fits my hand perfect, the string spacing also fit me perfect, I was looking for a mahogany body/maple neck, and it had nice features (EMG HZ p/u's, Grover tuners, decent bridge, and its a neck through). Its a good looking bass too.

Some people have changed out the active pre and/or the pickups and had great results so it has some potential if you're looking to upgrade later.

I played a SUB and liked the sound of it too, but I could only get a few sounds out of it. Keep in mind what kind of tone you are looking for and how you want the bass to feel and go to some music stores and play everything.

Matt

20. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx

18 bolts!? Wow! And I thought Ritters had a lot. How does that improve the bass?

[​IMG]

Jus kiddin, haha

Edit...
    Oh yeah, I vote for the G&L Tribute L-2500. It has the 34" scale and closer string spacing at the bridge which I find very comfortable. Not too big, not too small. Juuuust right. The more I play mine the more I like it. Nice versatile electronics too, even though I seem to stick with the growly P sound most of the time :D